Hi, I’m Marvellina. Feel free to call me Marv if it makes your life easier. I’m just another food blogger amongst the millions maybe ? I was born and raised in Indonesia and one day (when I was almost 19), I decided to come to the U.S. for college and later worked as a Clinical Dietitian. 9 years later I decided to pack up and go back to Indonesia where my family was. Love brought me back to the U.S. Life is just amusing, isn’t it? I never thought I would settle down here, but here I am. Now a full-time stay-at-home mom of two kids who are constantly testing my limits (I swear I’ve aged more than I should!) and my cooking/baking ability.
I pretty much can be found at my kitchen most of the time here in the frozen tundra (read: Minnesota). It has been my home since 2010 and counting ?!?
WHEN & HOW
I started What To Cook Today back in 2010. Newlywed, inexperience at the kitchen and feeling homesick and craving for my mom’s home-cooked meals and many other comfort food I took for granted. I started learning how to cook at home and taking lots of photos of food (I hope people never really saw those photos I took back in the early days because they were horrible to the max!), but as they say practice makes perfect and so I’m happy to say the photography part has somewhat improved. I’m working on rolling out more cooking videos with my recipes too 🙂
If you are wondering what sort of food I cook, I lived in Medan until I was 17 years old. It’s one of the cities that is located in North Sumatra and the food has heavy Chinese influence. So there are mixtures between local Indonesian food and some Chinese influence. Indonesian is one of the countries in Southeast Asia. Southeast Asian food can be considered pretty complicated in taste especially if you are not familiar with it. Food is very bold in taste & flavor in Southeast Asia. There are often sweet, sour, salty, spicy, and umami all incorporated in one dish! And I thought…that’s exactly the tagline that fits What To Cook Today blog. I’m focusing on Southeast Asian food, but please don’t be surprised if you see food from the other continents 😉
I don’t really follow any food trend out there. If you think I use lots of coconut milk or coconut oil because they are like so “IN” these days….well, let me tell you that I grew up with those since I was a little kid (like the majority of kids who grew up in Southeast Asia). I pretty much cook what I’ve been craving and sometimes I might try to “challenge” myself to cook/bake something I’ve never done before but I had them as a child and the only way to have them is to DIY !!
I’m also a die-hard Omnivore and simply cannot live without carbs 🙂 My mantra is “Everything in Moderation” and I always encourage my kids to try everything at least ONCE (sometimes I “tricked” them into trying more than once lol) before they declare no relationship with such food. I’m pretty fearless when it comes to trying new food (real food, not bugs or crickets!). As the husband has said before that the way to my heart is through my tummy 😉
Some random facts about me:
1. I’m obsessed with Outlander and Game of Throne
2. I’m a former Downton Abbey addict
3. If there is only one thing I can eat before I die, that will be Uni and TONS of sashimi (and maybe sneak in some noodles when no one is watching). I guess I can’t just eat one thing!
4. I love over-sized shirt/sweater (I guess you know why!) and skinny jeans
5. Shoes should be my middle name probably
6. I can spend hours and hours (super long hours) at the thrift shops scouring for ceramic plates, bowls, and other props
7. I’m pretty darn good at hula hooping 😉
8. I speak English, Indonesian, Hokkian dialect, and average Mandarin
9. Durian is my nemesis
10. I don’t drink coffee
11. I don’t drink alcohol (boring person I know). I pour them in my cooking though
12. I’m an introvert (and can be as stubborn as mule, at least that’s what mom said before)
13. I’m a very impatient person too
14. I believe I’ve grown an extra pair of eyes at the back of my head ever since I have kids
15. I hate ironing and folding clothes
Me and Social Medias:
I use them mainly to promote content from this blog. I have nothing against the social medias, however, I’m trying to reduce my screen time and decided to quit Instagram. I love meeting new people there, the engagement, and the creativity are just so inspiring! It took out the most time of me among all the social medias though. It’s just super nice not to be on the phone so much too 🙂
Like I’ve said before, I’m definitely not hard to be found though. Always at the kitchen tinkering and/or eating!
Have a fantastic day full of wonderful food.