You will find bamboo shoot being used widely in Asian cuisine. They are cooked in soup, stir-fried, boiled, as filler in spring rolls, etc and come in many forms and shape too. If you ever visit Asian grocery store, you will see huge containers in the refrigerator section filled with bamboo shoots swimming in water, in various shapes and sizes. Some are huge, some are in fine strips. These are fresh bamboo shoots. You will also fine bamboo shoots in canned, also in various sizes and shapes.
This bamboo shoot salad or sub no mai calls for fresh bamboo shoots and not to use canned bamboo shoots. The thing about bamboo shoot is, if you are not use to it, it has quite a pungent smell and can be quite a turn off for certain people. When you boil it, put some sugar in the water and that kinda helps to get rid of the pungent smell. Once you cook it with whatever you’re going to cook it with, it absorbs the flavors and it actually taste good and crunchy at the same time.
The Thai likes to use bamboo shoot in curry, stir-fry and in this case, salad. So, don’t be scared by the thought of eating bamboo shoots or even the pungent smell. Once you prepare this salad: season with lime, fish sauce, chili powder, spring onions and top it with toasted sticky rice/glutinous rice, mint and coriander leaves, you will find it so refreshing and delicious!!!!
- 1 handful of bamboo shoots, julienned finely (or get the one already in strips)
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp toasted sticky rice/white glutinous rice/sweet rice, ground finely
- 1 handful of mint
- 1 handful or coriander leaves
- Preheat a small to medium skillet on high heat without any oil. Once hot, put in one handful of sticky rice and use a wooden spoon to move it around and let it toast until golden brown. You can even smell the nuttiness. Set aside to let it cool down a little bit. Put the toasted rice into a food processor and process into fine powder and let it cool and store in an air-tight container. You can do this a night before if you prefer
- Bring a little bit of water to a boil. Boil the bamboo shoots for about 1 minute with 1 Tbsp of sugar, discard the water. Turn off the heat. Add spring onion, shallot and chili powder. Season it with lime juice, fish sauce and finish with toasted rice, mint and coriander leaves