Bubur sumsum or some called it bubur som som, is Indonesian traditional sweet dessert. The dessert is mainly made of coconut milk and rice flour that are being cooked until thickened and then chilled. The bubur itself is a little bit salty, complement by the sweetness from Gula Jawa/ Gula Malacca…salty and sweet dessert ? that’s my kind of dessert.
This was my childhood favorite dessert. We were always excited when we heard The lady who sold this bubur sumsum door-to-door calling out “Bubur sumsum…Bubur sumsum”. We both would look at our grandma (with our innocent looks trying to convince her to let us have some) and of course she could not resist her cute granddaughters lol! This dessert is sooooooooo good and so easy to make. It always reminds me of my grandma. I miss her and I love her so much.
When I made this today and the minute I sunk my teeth on this…..I thought that was one of the best massages I’ve ever given to my tongue and my soul. Exaggerating ? nope, try it and you will love it.
- 2½ cups coconut milk
- ½ cup rice flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- ¼ cup gula jawa/gula malacca
- ¾ cup water
- Melt the gula jawa with water in a small sauce pan and cook on low heat until slightly thickened. Strain and then set aside
- In a mixing bowl, combine coconut milk, rice flour and salt. Stir to mix all ingredient well and make sure there is no lump in the mixture. Pour this into a small or medium size sauce pan and cook on low heat. Constantly stirring until it started to boil and thickened. This may take about 15-20 minutes. Turn off the heat and pour this into a bowl
- Scoop the bubur into a serving bowl or plate by using a spoon and pour the Gula Jawa syrup generously on top of it and forget about all the unhappy things and start counting your blessing 🙂
COMMON MISTAKE WHILE MAKING BUBUR SUMSUM:
1. Did not strain the melted Gula Jawa – Depends on the Gula Jawa, some is still pretty “sandy”, so it is important to strain those off
2. Undercooking the flour mixture – This results in starchy tasting Bubur sumsumHave a great day and thank you for stopping by