|DRUNKEN CHICKEN SOUP (6 servings) |
- About 2½ to 3 lbs of whole chicken
- 4 Tbsp of good quality sesame oil
- 6 of 4-inch ginger slices
- 3 cups of Shao xing wine
- 4 cups of water
- Pinch of salt and sugar
- Remove any extra fat from the chicken and its cavity. Leave the skin on and cut the chicken into bite-size pieces (with bones). You most likely need a cleaver to get this job done. If you are not a fan of chopping chicken with its bone, you can use boneless chicken thighs/breast or whatever you prefer or leg quarters
- Heat a large pot or wok until really hot. Add in the sesame oil. Add in the ginger slices and stir fry until really fragrant, about 1 minute. Add in the chicken pieces and stir-fry until the chicken turn opaque, about 5 minutes or so. Splash in the wine. Bring it to a boil and then lower the heat to let it simmer for about 10 minutes (if you are concern about alcohol content, the alcohol will be cooked off during this period). Add in 5 cup of water, salt and sugar and then bring it back to a boil and then lower the heat to let it simmer for the next 1 hour or until the meat is cooked through and tender. Have a taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
The 4 cups of water may be substitute with cooking wine if you want more wine in the recipe, for example when you are preparing this for "confinement"
Recipe by What To Cook Today at http://whattocooktoday.com/drunken-chicken-soup.html