Asian Chicken Macaroni Soup – An easy soup recipe that many seeks comfort in, from kids to adults. It can be made with Instant Pot or stove-top. A wonderful recipe for busy weeknight dinner.
One of my favorite soups from childhood is this Asian Chicken Macaroni Soup. My mom never cooked pasta at home when we were kids simply because she had little knowledge about food from other countries at that time. Macaroni though, it’s one kind of pasta, perhaps the only pasta she knew, that she cooked a lot with a soup. You can ask other Asian kids who grew up in Asia, and they most likely know macaroni soup 🙂 This is like macaroni and cheese for the kids here in the U.S.
My kids never really knew about this Asian Chicken Macaroni Soup until I made it a few days ago in Instant Pot. The thought process started with bags of homegrown potatoes that were given to us and ever since then, I have been on a quest to find ways to use up these potatoes. I thought about potato soup and then the image of macaroni soup just appeared inside my head!
I know it sounds weird that potato and macaroni in a soup? Many of the Indonesian dishes have several high carbs ingredients in one dish. Macaroni soup is not originated in Indonesia. I’m not sure where it’s from, but everyone has his/her own version. This was how my mom made hers. Sometimes she would even add eggs to the soup too.
I pretty much throw everything inside the Instant Pot and 15 minutes later (5 minutes pressurizing, 10 minutes cooking), voila…dinner was ready!
DISCLOSURE: This post contains affiliate links, which support this site at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
*Recipe is written for 6-quart Instant Pot. Cooking time should remain the same for 8-quart size but will take longer to pressurize. For mini duo (3-quart), I suggest to half the recipe and use the same amount of time to cook*
Asian Chicken Macaroni Soup
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs trim off excess fat, cut into bite size
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and bruised
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 1 large potato peeled, cut into large chunks
- 1 cup macaroni uncooked
- Salt to taste
- 1 small bunch fresh celery leaves finely chopped
- Crispy fried shallots / bawang goreng
- 1 stalk green onion finely chopped
Cooking with Instant Pot:
- Place all the ingredients, except for salt and the garnish, in the insert of the instant pot. Close the lid. Turn the steam release handle to seal. Press Pressure Cook and set on high pressure. Set the timer to 10 minutes. It will take about 5-10 minutes to pressurize and then the timer will start. When 10 minutes cooking time is done. Wait for 10 minutes and then I usually use a clean cloth folded several times to loosely cover the pressure valve and carefully release the pressure. Once the valve has fallen back down, you can open the lid. Season with salt to your taste
Cooking on stove top:
- Bring chicken stock to a boil and then add in chicken pieces and the rest of the ingredients, except for macaroni, salt and the garnish. Bring it back to a boil and then lower the heat to let it gently simmer for about 15 minutes
- While the chicken is cooking, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook macaroni according to instruction. Drain and set aside
- After 15 minutes, add macaroni to the soup and season with salt to your taste.
- Garnish with chopped celery leaves, green onions, and crispy shallots (if using)
You might also like:
Instant Pot Recipes Collection
Soups and Stew Recipes