Before I say anything else, this lemon pepper crab sushi boats has definitely become one of my favorites. The first bite into the sushi and I think the nerves on my tongue immediately sent signals to my brain and I my respond was like “WOW! The sweetness of the crab meats, the creaminess of the mayonnaise and that little hint of lemon really just did it to me!
This lemon pepper crab sushi boats recipe will work too if you want to make a more “economical” version by using canned tuna. Of course, some people may say “geez…this is sushi, you gotta use fresh stuff” Well, yes and no in my humble opinion. Of course if I’m dining out, I would expect fresh sashimi-grade stuff at the restaurants. But if you are preparing this at home, and you want something fun for your lunch box, seriously, there’s nothing wrong with that I don’t think! I realize that not everyone have access to sashimi-grade stuff and perhaps not so willing to pay that much to prepare lunch boxes too. So, do what you need, that including substituting ingredient in cooking. I really recommend adding that lemon rind on top of each of the sushi, it does make a HUGE difference to the whole experience.
Please weigh ingredients with a digital kitchen scale instead of using measuring cups as they are not very accurate especially when it comes to recipe that requires precision.
- About 5 oz of cooked crab meat
- 1 tsp freshly grated black pepper
- 2 Tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
- 1/3 quantity of freshly cooked sushi rice - see notes
- 2 small sheets of toasted nori seaweed - , each cut into 4 strips lengthwise
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Black sesame seeds - (optional)
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- Mix the crab meat with lemon juice, black pepper, and mayonnaise. Season with salt to taste
- Divide the rice into 8 equal portions. Dampen your hands to prevent the rice from sticking to your hands. Shape each portion into an oval using your hands
- Carefully wrap a strip of nori around each piece of rice, trim off any excess in length, then stick the seaweed together with few grains of sushi rice
- Top each sushi boat with some of the crab mixture and garnish with some black sesame seeds and lemon zest. Serve immediately