Sushi is absolutely beyond just raw fish. The thing you can make into sushi is really limited to your own creativity. You will see as I do more sushi posts (please bear with me). I’m not a chef. Just a mother who likes to experiment at kitchen and if I can pull it off, please…you can do it too! I also want to show people that you can do many different variety of sushi at your very own kitchen. So simple. So pretty and so yummy!
I started with an “easy” one, the green bean sushi. Doesn’t sound too appetizing, does it ? but you’ll change your mind when you have a bite into it. The green beans are seasoned with sesame oil, sesame seeds, lemon, salt and pepper. Can it be any easier than this ?
You don’t need sushi mat to roll this green bean sushi boats. Just your two bare hands will do the job. The boats are usually formed by rolling the rice into ball and the seaweed is wrapped around it and then the topping is placed on top. Super simple and you won’t look at green beans as just plain old green beans anymore. When you put this humble ingredients on sushi, look at them! all of the sudden they look “gourmet” and they are flavorful too.
- About 20 green beans , trimmed and finely sliced at an angle
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 cup freshly cooked sushi rice
- 2 small sheets of toasted nori , each cut into 4 strips lengthwise
- Wasabi paste
- Soy sauce
- Pickled ginger
- Blanch the green beans in a boiling water for about 2 minutes, then drain off the water and rinse with cold water immediately. Toss with sesame oil and sesame seeds. Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix in the lemon zest
- Dampen your hands with clean cold water. This is to prevent the rice sticking to your hands. Divide the rice into 8 batches. Shape each batch into an oval using your hands. Carefully wrap a strip of nori around each piece of rice, trim off any excess in length, and leave the extra sheet that is sticking out on top, then stick together at the join using a couple of crushed grains of rice and it works like wonder
- Top each sushi with the seasoned green beans, dab with wasabi on top. Serve with soy sauce and pickled ginger on the side if you wish