Mom’s potato fritters are crispy on the outside, soft and savory on the inside. Perfect to snack on its own or to accompany many dishes like the locals love to do in Indonesia.
Perkedel kentang or known as Indonesian potato fritters are popular Indonesian side dish that is great to be eaten alone as snacks or serve with Soto Ayam. In my hometown, it is commonly seen served with soto ayam. Perkedel kentang is my brother’s all-time favorite, mine too.
My mom has a wonderful perkedel kentang recipe. Usually there is only potato in perkedel kentang without any meat, but my mom’s recipe does and I love it. Sometimes she even put shrimp in there.
I’ve tried not to deep fried the potatoes before mashing them and just steaming or baking, but I found that they fall apart easily when you fry them. So mom often tells me that I need to deep fry them. So, I decided to listen to mom this time 🙂
DISCLOSURE: This post contains affiliate links, which support this site at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
- 1 lb potato (peeled and diced into ½-inch square)
- 4 oz ground pork/chicken optional
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Cooking oil for frying
- 1 egg beaten
- Deep fry the diced potato until cooked but not too brown or it will be hard to mash. Place them in a large mixing bowl and mashed with fork while still hot because it's easier to do so
- Add pork and the rest of the ingredients, except for oil and stir to mix everything
- Wet your hands to prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands. Form the mixture into balls, then flatten with your palm to about 1-inch thickness. Coat the perkedel in an egg you beaten earlier
- Preheat a oil enough to deep-fry the perkedel. When the oil is hot enough, lower the heat to medium so the perkedel won't get burn outside but with pork still uncooked inside. Deep fry until golden brown, it shouldn't take long, about 1 minute on each side or so. Keep your eyes on them as they may brown faster if your perkedel is smaller in size. Place on absorbent paper towel and serve warm or room temperature on its own or with other dish