Turn a can of sardines into delicious meal in no time with simple addition to add extra flavor and taste.
When the day just simply did not permit me to spend too much time at the kitchen, a can of sardines come to a rescue. My sister send me the “Ayam Brand” Sardines from Singapore. You are an Angel sis! 🙂 Back in college days, I could just open up a can of sardines and happily I was eating it with a bowl of rice. I could probably also just serve the sardines out from the can just like that, however, I somehow feel that it’s a bit “too simple”. I opened up the fridge and I saw some tomatoes, spring onions and onions, so I thought, well, adding those to the sardines will make it more like a “proper” dish. ha! Well, it worked and I’ve always love sardines and I haven’t had it for the longest time.
Easy and Quick Spicy Sardines in Tomato Sauce
- 2 cans of sardines about 7 oz in tomato sauce (you can use whatever brands you like)
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onions thinly sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 2 red Thai chili peppers optional, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 stalk green onion finely chopped
- Preheat a skillet/wok with cooking oil. Saute the onions until they are soft. Add the tomatoes and chili (if using) and continue to cook until the tomatoes are soft
- Add in the sardines, be careful not to stir too much and break the fish into pieces. Season with more salt to your taste if needed. Bring to a gentle simmer and then turn off the heat
- Sprinkle with chopped green onion and voila…dinner is ready