Bak Mie Khek or loosely translated as Hakka Braised Pork noodles is one of my top-on-the-list foods to eat whenever I go back to Medan, Indonesia.
This simple yet very tasty noodles will knock your socks off! I’m not even kidding! It is a noodle dish consist of noodle serves with pulled braised pork, lots of pork lard (this is what makes it unbelievably tasty), and crispy pork cubes.
I missed this so extremely much, so I attempted to make one of my own today for lunch and it comes quite close as a matter of fact. I can’t say it is as good as the one they sold in Medan, but, hey…I’m thousands of miles away and I’m delighted to say that it is delicious!!!!!
BAK MIE KHEK / HAKKA BRAISED PORK NOODLES (2 servings)
8- 10.5 oz (250-300 g) of fresh egg noodles (I used a thick one)
1 lb (450 g) of pork
2 stalks of spring onion (finely chopped)
Generous amount of pork lard
Seasoning to marinate pork:
2 Tbsp of soy sauce
1 Tbsp of fish sauce
Dash of white pepper
HOW TO MAKE PORK LARD and CRISPY PORK CUBES
1. I used pork belly, use the white part (fat) and the skin. Cut them into small cubes
2. Place them in a pan and cook them on low-medium heat. The lard will slowly sweat out from the skin and the fat. It may takes some times, just watch out on the heat not to burn them
3. Sweat the lard out until you get a super crispy pork cubes. Remove the crispy pork cubes from the lard, so that they remains crispy and not soaked in the lard. Save them for later use
1. Marinate pork with the seasoning for at least 1 hour or overnight if you plan ahead
2. Prepare a pot and place the pork inside the pot, pour in boiling water, enough to cover the pork. Cook on low to medium until the pork is fully cooked. I used slow cooker and cook it overnight and the meat literally fall apart the next day and it is the best thing!
3. Cook the egg noodles in a boiling water. Discard the water and briefly rinse with cold running water and set aside
4. Prepare an individual bowl and spoon about 3-4 Tbsp of pork lard,1 Tbsp of fish sauce and some of the marinate juice from cooking the pork onto the bowl, add the noodle and mix them well, to make sure noodles are well-coated with the above
5. Pull/shred the pork meat by hand onto individual serving bowl
6. Garnish with crispy pork cubes and spring onions