Quinoa has been part of our diets for few years now. I started out just eating it plain as I would rice accompanied by other entrees and side dishes. But over the years, as food is getting more “exotic” (in a good way), the possibilities of cooking quinoa with other ingredients are endless. Most often I see it made as salad. I’m a stir-fry freak !! Perhaps it’s my Asian blood ! ha! who knows, but I love to stir-fry lots of things and quinoa is definitely one of my favorites and the kids’ favorite (the latter is the most important).
So, with this quinoa stir-fry, I incorporate the Asian touch the way I know how. Most of the Indonesian dishes incorporate some chili, not always, but most of them do. There is not a day that we do not have our meals without some kind of chili at home. When we are on a vacation, we bring chili sauce with us too !! Freak I know!! I saw some lobster tails at Costco and without thinking much, I got them. This spicy stir-fried quinoa with lobster tails is definitely delicious, not crazy hot spicy but enough to give some kick. You can definitely make it without the chili. It’s my quick fix for a meal and in fact, I made this as part of hubby’s birthday’s lunch and he wished I made more !!!
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 2 Tbsp of butter feel free to substitute with your favorite cooking oil
- 1 large onion peeled and diced
- 4 red Fresno peppers stemmed and processed into a paste
- 1 lb of cooked lobster tails
- 1/2 cup of frozen green peas thawed
- 1/2 cup of frozen corn thawed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 stalks of spring onion finely chopped
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Cook the quinoa as directed on the package. I actually used a bit less water called for in the instruction.. Once it is done, let them cool completely.
- Preheat your wok or skillet. Melt the butter. Add in the diced onions and cook until it's soft, about 5 minutes, add in the fresno peppers, stir fry for another 3 minutes. Add in the green peas corn, cooked lobster tails and stir again for about 1 minute. Add in the cooked quinoa and stir to mix everything. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Turn off the heat and garnish with chopped spring onion and fresh cilantro leaves. Serve immediately