If you never have fried eggs with tomatoes before, well, maybe you should give it a try. I never knew about this dish until oh..let’s see, not too long ago (maybe 13-14 years ago) my ex-housemate, who is also my best friend, made this dish. We lived in an apartment during college years. We didn’t cook that often because we hardly had time, however, when we did have time, my dear friend often cooked something that was comforting to her, and this stir-fried eggs with tomatoes is one of them.
She was the one who introduced me to the flour cake soup/ mee hoon kueh. I mean I do eat omelette and ocasionally put diced tomatoes along with other stuff on it. When she told me she’s going to make fried eggs with tomatoes, I was all curious how it would turn out.
It was a super easy dish to make though, typical of college students’ life, we don’t have a whole day at the kitchen cooking! When I tasted it, it was strangely good!! So, I decided to make it again using this recipe and it was also the first time my husband had it and the dish has his approval 😉
- 6 medium eggs
- 2 medium tomatoes (cut into slices)
- 2 scallions (chopped, separate green and white part)
- 1 Tbsp of minced ginger
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 2 Tbsp of water
- Salt and pepper
- Canola oil
- Crack all the eggs into the bowl and beat vigorously, set aside
- Preheat your wok or skillet, add about 2 Tbsp of canola oil and stir-fry the ginger and white parts of scallions until fragrant. Add in the sliced tomatoes with some sugar and stir fry for about 20 seconds and then add about 2 Tbsp of water and continue to stir-fry for another 1 minute and the tomato will start release its juice
- Pour in the beaten eggs into the wok and don't stir it yet, and let it cook for about 30 seconds, it will start to firm up a bit. Then stir-fry gently until the eggs are cooked. Try not to overcook the eggs because you want them to be soft and fluffy. Add in the green parts of scallion, stir to mix one last time and turn off the heat. Turn onto a serving platter and serve immediately with rice and other dishes
Have a great day and thank you for stopping by