Perfectly seared five-spice scallops with some sweet chili rice is a perfect 30-minute meal you will love to make over and over again.
I always have a thing for jumbo scallops. They are so meaty and sweet on their own without having to put any other seasonings. I just love them so much. They are quick to prepare, however, it’s very easy to overcook them. Once you overcook them, they lost their tenderness and turn rubbery as other seafood does.
The pan-fried scallops go so well with the sweet chili rice. This sweet chili rice on its own is so good. Hubby loves the rice a lot. I love it too. It’s so flavorful. The spring onions, the eggs, the coriander, and the sweet chili sauce, go so well, making it such a perfect fusion meal. The recipe is adapted from Jamie Oliver Meals in Minute cookbook. I modified it a little bit but it’s still a delicious meal.
30-Minute meal: Seared scallops with sweet chili rice
- 2 lbs fresh large scallops, shelled and trimmed
- Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 clove of garlic (peeled and minced)
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 2 small knobs of butter
- A small bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- RICE: put the rice in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid. Add in 2 1/2 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil and then lower the heat and pop a lid on and leave to cook for 15-20 minutes
- SCALLOPS: Pat each scallops dry with an absorbent paper towel. Score crisscross on top, only going halfway through. Season with salt and pepper, finely grate over some lemon zest and dust with the five-spice powder
- RICE: trim and finely slice the green onions and put into a mixing bowl. Crack in the eggs, and add 1 Tbsp each of soy sauce and sesame oil and a drizzle of olive oil, then whisk. Take the lid off the rice and use a fork to fluff it up. Add in the peas. Pour the egg mixture all over. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lemon and add a pinch of pepper. Put the lid back on and turn down to the lowest heat for another 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it rest for about 5 minutes. Open the lid and drizzle some sweet chili sauce when ready to serve
- SCALLOPS: Get a large frying pan on the highest heat. Pput about 1 Tbsp of cooking oil in the pan. Quickly add the scallops, scored side down. Don't turn the scallops until they've had about 2 minutes. Quickly turn them all over and crush in 1 unpeeled garlic. Add in some honey and 2 small knobs of butter. Take off the heat, and transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle over leaves from a small bunch of coriander. Serve with the rice and greens
Video (appear as pop-up)