Another popular confinement recipe is black chicken soup. The chicken is literally black in color. From what I read, black chicken is also called a Silkies, due to its silk-like plumage. This breed of chicken has several distinctive characteristic such as dark blue flesh and bones, blue earlobes, and five toes on each foot. Black Chicken most likely originated in China, but some had been seen in Southeast Asia.
The purplish color of the meat of black chicken is generally considered an unusual or unpalatable attribute in European and American cuisines. However, several Asian cuisines consider black chicken as a gourmet food. Black chicken is usually used to cook soup along with other Chinese herbs such as Wolfberries, Wild Yam and Ginger. According to the traditional Chinese medicine, it has a curative property. Black chicken soup is also consumed on a regular basis by the Chinese.
- 1 black chicken thawed if frozen
- 4-5 wolfberries
- 3-4 Huai Shan/Shan Yao/ Wild Yam
- 1 medium size ginger- skin on thoroughly brushed
- 6 Cups of water
- Prepare your double boiler and bring the water to boil. Add in the black chicken and the rest of the ingredients into the inset of double boiler and cook on low heat for the next 2 hours. The meat will literally fall off the bones
- You can consume the meat of the chicken, but most importantly is to drink the soup as all the "goodness" has been released into the soup during the double boiling process