Fresh pineapple is cooked and reduced to a very thick consistency and usually used to fill up Pineapple Tarts.
Pineapples were on sale few weeks ago and with 4 pineapples at home, I thought I would made a compote or what we usually selai nenas in Indonesia. They were easy to make but just need about one hour to get it to a thick consistency to be used in Kue Nastar (Pineapple Tarts) 😉
How do you pick a pineapple?
To be honest, I’m not an expert either. Usually you would be able to smell a nice pineapple aroma at its base. A stranger told me before that I should be albe to tug on one of the inner leaves. Those are the signs that the pineapple is ready.
Look at how much juice was squeezed out. This helps to reduce cooking time. All the cooking does is caramelizing the sugar to make it turn dark brown and to evaporate the liquid. My two kids were fighting for the juice!
The thickness of the pineapple jam is necessary when you are going to use it to make Kue Nastar. The jam is usually rolled into a ball and then wrapped with the dough.
How To Make Pineapple Jam for Pineapple Tarts
- 20 gr maltose or golden syrup
- Trim off the top and bottom of the pineapple. Start trimming the sides and then trim off the "eyes". Slice the pineapple vertically and cut off the core. Cut into little pieces. After trimmin it would be roughly about 800-900 grams. Use a blender to roughly chopped it.
- Optional: Use a strainer and use the back of the fork to squeeze out the juice. This helps to cut down on cooking time. You can save the juice for drinking or other use. If you choose to include the juice you just have to account for longer cooking time to cook off the liquid
- In a large pot, put in the chopped pineapple, sugar, and spices and cook over low heat. Stir every now and then and cook until they are a bit thicker, add the maltose or golden syrup if you choose to use. Continue to cook until it gets really thick, this may take about 1 hour or longer or about 2-2 1/2 hours if you include the pineapple juice in the cooking
How to store:
- Let the jam cools down completely. Store in glass container and keep in the refrigerator and it's good up to about 2 weeks and can be kept frozen for 1 month
Video (appear as pop-up)
Check out this melt-in-the-mouth Kue Nastar (Pineapple Tarts) recipe and video tutorial. It’s a must for Chinese New Year.