Learn how to make a comforting bowl of silky smooth chicken rice congee or porridge or also known as jook.
RICE CONGEE IS A COMFORT FOOD FOR MANY
Rice porridge or congee is something that we make often at our house. It’s comfort food for many. Whenever we are not feeling well, mom will make rice congee for us. So, it’s not unusual for many Asians to considered rice congee as comfort food or “sick” people food 🙂 The Chinese believe that rice congee is easier to digest when one is not well.
WHAT TO EAT WITH CHICKEN RICE CONGEE
You can eat it as is with condiments like light soy sauce, sesame oil, ground white pepper, chopped green onion, and thin slices of ginger. Those are the common toppings you will see added to plain rice congee or chicken rice congee in this recipe.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER CHICKEN RICE CONGEE (OR ANY CONGEE)
Storing: They can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I don’t recommend freezing rice congee.
Reheating: Simply reheat on the stove and you will need to add more water or stock to thin it out. The longer the congee sits, the thicker it gets. You can also reheat in microwave by adding more liquid to thin out the porridge.
I wrote in more details in HOW TO MAKE BASIC ASIAN RICE PORRIDGE (CONGEE) post if you are interested in reading more about it.
Easy Chicken Rice Porridge / Congee (Bubur Ayam)
- 2 cups jasmine rice briefly rinse with water
- 10 cups water
- 300 gr bone-in skinless chicken breast
Preparing the chicken:
- Place the chicken in a medium size pot and add 10 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and let it gently simmer until the chicken is fully cooked, about 25-30 minutes
- Remove the chicken and set aside to cool down a bit. When they are cool enough to handle, shred the meat and set aside. The liquid can be used as a base for this recipe
Cooking the congee:
- Bring the chicken broth back to a boil. Add the rice in and bring it back to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and partially cover and continue to cook until rice started to thicken, which may take about 20-30 minutes
- Garnish with shredded chicken meat, chopped green onion, couple drops of sesame oil, ground white pepper and ginger