Learn how to make comforting bowl of silky smooth bubur ayam or chicken congee.
Rice is pretty much the staple in South East Asia. With that said, not only do we eat rice for lunch and dinner, we eat rice for breakfast sometime. One of the rice dishes that I love to have for breakfast is Bubur / Rice Congee or sometimes called Rice Porridge. It is definitely my comfort food.
You can add whatever things you want with your Congee. You can cook it plain and have it with other side dishes such as sambal ikan teri and peanuts, or you can cook it with chicken, pork, fish, eggs etc. and topped with ginger, spring onions, sesame oil and soy sauce. I used chicken for this recipe and I’ve made some sambal ikan teri few days before, so voila….
Bubur Ayam (Chicken Congee)
- 1 cup jasmine rice briefly rinse with water
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 300 gr boneless skinless chicken meat
Preparing the chicken:
- Place the chicken in a medium size pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and let it gently simmer until the chicken is fully cooked. When they are cool enough to handle, shred the meat and set aside. The liquid can be used as base for this recipe
- Bring 10 cups of liquid to a boil. Add the rice in and bring it back to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and partially cover and continue to cook until rice started to thicken, which may take about 30 minutes
- Garnish with shredded chicken, spring onion, couple drops of sesame oil, 1/2 tsp of white pepper powder and ginger