I was always curious about these green-looking tomatoes or known as tomatillo in Spanish. Never had it before (at least not that I’m aware of) until these past 2 years probably. I never seen green tomatoes. My mom said she had never seen one before too until she came here. I’ve experimented with few recipes using green tomatoes since then and this is one of them.
The tomatoes are cooked in a brine, which resulted in slightly tangy and softer green tomatoes and then crusted with Panko bread crumbs and fried. Crunchy and slightly tangy are quite a good pair 🙂 and I’m one who can make almost everything works with sour cream 😉 and I like them with sour cream too 🙂
Please weigh ingredients with a digital kitchen scale instead of using measuring cups as they are not very accurate especially when it comes to recipe that requires precision.
- 5 tomatillos - peel the husk, discard the ends and cut into 1/2-inch thickness
- 4 cups of water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs - beaten
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Sour cream to serve with - optional
- Place the sliced tomatillos in a medium size pan. Pour in about 4 cups of water and add in sugar and white vinegar. Bring it to a boil and then lower to let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let them sit for another 5 minutes. Gently remove the tomatillos from the liquid. They should be softer than before being cooked but not to the point of mushy
- Prepare 3 shallow plates. First one for all-purpose flour, second one with beaten eggs and 1/2 cup of milk and the third one for the panko bread crumbs.
- Preheat about 1/2-inch of oil in a small to medium size pan. One at a time, dredge the slice of tomatillo in all-purpose flour and shake off any excess. Followed by egg wash and then dredge in panko bread crumbs on both sides. When the oil is hot enough, place it into a oil. Try not to overcrowd the pan and fry in small batches. Fry until golden brown and then flip once to the other side. Place on absorbent paper towel. Repeat with the rest