If you google the word “shrimp rolls”, you will get over 5 millions images of shrimp rolls. Speaking of variety! These shrimp rolls are not wrapped in spring roll wrappers, wonton wrappers, rice, seaweed, or any other common wrappers. The shrimp rolls are wrapped using roasted bell peppers. I love these rolls because I really like the flavor and taste of roasted bell peppers and wrap this around the succulent shrimp and avocado, you are in for a wonderful combination of taste. they are pretty simple to make. The most challenge I encountered was perhaps in making sure I didn’t tear the delicate roasted bell peppers during wrapping, other than that, it’s pretty straightforward.
- 2 large and even-looking yellow or red bell peppers (or one of each, it's up to you)
- 1 small ripe avocado , cut into slices
- 8 large jumbo shrimps (shelled - blanch in hot water until cooked through)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place the bell peppers in a roasting pan and cook them for 30 minutes, or until the skins have browned and started to puff away from the flesh. Place in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrapper to let cool. You can easily peel off the skin later. When cool enough to handle, gently peel off the skins and then cut each bell pepper in half and discard the stalk, seeds, and membrane
- Lay out each bell pepper half on a board and make a pile of avocado slices at one end. Add 2 shrimp to each and season well with salt and pepper. Roll up the peppers tightly, wrap each roll in plastic wrap, and let chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before cutting
- When ready to cut, carefully unwrap the plastic wrap from the bell peppers and trim each end until it is straight. Cut each into 3 pieces with a wet, very sharp knife. Turn the pieces on end and arrange them on a plate