15-Minute One-Pan Tomato and Egg Stir-fry – Who would have thought that tomato and egg stir-fry can actually be so delicious. Learn how to make this popular Chinese homecooked dishes. You only need 15 minutes from start to finish!
If you never have tomato and egg stir-fry before, well, maybe you should give it a try. As weird as you may think the whole thing gonna turn out, it’s not! I never knew about this tomato and egg stir-fry oh..let’s see, not too long ago (maybe 13-14 years ago) my ex-housemate, who is also my best friend, made this dish. We lived in an apartment during college years. We didn’t cook that often because we hardly had time, however, when we did have time, my dear friend often cooked something that was comforting to her, and this tomato and egg stir-fry was one of our favorites and still is. She was the one who introduced me to the flour cake soup/ mee hoon kueh. I mean I do eat omelette and ocasionally put diced tomatoes along with other stuff on it. When she told me she’s going to make tomato and egg stir-fry, I was all curious how it would turn out. When I tasted it, it was strangely good!!
WHAT KIND OF TOMATOES TO USE IN THIS TOMATO AND EGG STIR-FRY?
Usually they are made with regular medium or large tomatoes. They are usually quartered. I used cherry tomatoes because I had abundance of those. They turned out really good too. Any fresh red tomatoes will do the job!
TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE GOOD TOMATO AND EGG STIR-FRY
This is an example how something so simple can be so good. Less is more sometimes!
1. Use fresh tomatoes
I highly suggest using fresh tomatoes and not the canned one.
2. Do not overcook the eggs
Yes, eggs are very heat sensitive. Few seconds longer can give you different consistency. We actually quickly cook the eggs first and then dish out before they are fully cooked
3. Let the juice out
Cook the tomatoes until they release the natural juice, but do not allow the tomatoes to turn into mush. You should be able to still see the shape of tomatoes
My husband never had tomato and egg stir-fry before too and he thought it was delicious. This recipe is especially perfect during summer when tomatoes are abundance and most people I know grow their own tomatoes. Now, you only need a bowl of rice and you have yourself a great nutritious meal!
15-Minute One-Pan Tomato and Egg Stir-fry
- 6 large eggs about 55-60 gr each
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp Cooking oil divided
- 1 lb tomatoes or cherry tomatoes quartered for large tomatoes, and half for cherry tomatoes
- 1 stalk green onion chopped, separate green and white part
- ½ tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp sugar
- Crack all the eggs into the bowl and beat vigorously with salt, set aside
- Preheat your wok or skillet until hot. Add 1 Tbsp cooking oil. Swirl around to cover the base. Add the eggs in and do not stir for about 10 seconds. The bottom of the eggs will be slightly solid but mostly are still runny. Dish out to a plate
- Wipe the wok or skillet clean if necessary. Bring it back up to heat. Add another 1 Tbsp of oil Preheat your wok or skillet, add about 2 Tbsp of cooking oil. Add ginger and white part of scallions. Stir fry for about 20 seconds or until fragrant Add in the tomato pieces and stir fry for until the tomato started to soften and started to release its juice but you can still see the shape of the tomato pieces
- Add the scrambled eggs back in and stir to mix everything. The eggs will break into large chunks and that's how we want it but still soft. Sprinkle in sugar and give it one last stir. The final taste will be savory with hint of sweetness. Adjust seasoning to your taste. Dish out into a serving platter. Sprinkle with the green parts of scallions and serve immediately