Thank you Carapelli Olive Oil for sponsoring this post. For more information and a store locator, please visit CarapelliUSA.com and be sure to check out Carapelli’s social channels: Facebook and Instagram.
Chinese Five-Spice Sizzling Steak Stir-fry Rice Bowl is made with thinly sliced steak infused with aromatic Chinese five-spice powder and stir-fried with a savory sauce. A quick, easy, and tasty meal for any day of the week.
One of the recipes that I like to make for our family on a weekly basis is this Chinese five-spice sizzling steak stir-fry, which I can easily assemble into rice bowls. I love stir-fries because they are convenient and pretty much a complete meal of its own.
This delicious Chinese five-spice sizzling steak stir-fry rice bowl also features high-quality and beautiful Carapelli Unfiltered Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil . I seriously love the beautiful bottle that comes with it too! It just naturally speaks quality, elegance and artistry.
WHY WE LOVE ORGANIC UNFILTERED CARAPELLI OLIVE OIL
Carapelli has been an olive oil expert since 1893 and each bottle is carefully and beautifully crafted. They are made with high-quality olives selected at their optimal harvest time. It shows in the end product and the taste.
The first thing that the family commented when they tasted Carapelli Unfiltered Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil was the amazing flavor. It tastes dense and nutty but not overpowering.
I love to use it for stir-fries, grilling, baking, dipping crusty bread with it, or even drizzling it on greens! My picky eater said it was the best olive oil she had ever tasted!
Not only is the bottle beautiful, but it’s functional and easy to pour. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve poured some cooking oil that gushed out and I ended up pouring too much! Not with this bottle of Carapelli Unfiltered Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The nozzle or spout, provides control for how much you want to pour. It’s a little thing, but it matters to me 🙂
Before we get into the cooking part, you might have few questions such as:
WHAT’S THE BEST CUT OF BEEF TO USE FOR THIS SIZZLING STEAK STIR-FRY?
I like skirt steak or flank the best for stir-fry
WHAT KIND OF VEGGIES CAN I USE FOR THIS STIR-FRY?
Though I used multi-color bell peppers and baby broccoli in this stir-fry, you can definitely venture out and use other greens like bok choy, broccoli, snap peas, green beans. Just to mention a few!
HOW TO MAKE THE STEAK TENDER?
Freeze the steak briefly for about 15 minutes. This will help you to slice thinly. It is also important to slice the steak across the grain. My mom also swears that marinating meat, like beef with cornstarch, also helps to tenderize the meat.
TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE AMAZING CHINESE FIVE-SPICE SIZZLING STEAK STIR-FRY RICE BOWL WITH CARAPELLI ORGANIC UNFILTERED EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
Now I can show you how you can use this beautiful bottle of Carapelli Unfiltered Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil in this recipe.
1. THINLY SLICE THE STEAK AND MARINATE
Place the steak in the freezer for about 15 minutes and then thinly slice across the grain and then marinade for 30 minutes at room temperature while you are preparing other things.
2. PREPARE THE VEGGIES
Cut the onions and bell peppers into large wedges. If you use baby broccoli, you have the choice of either blanching them in boiling water, then drizzling with Carapelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil and seasoning with a bit of sea salt so that you can serve them with the rice bowl later. Or you can include them in the stir fry after blanching.
3. PREHEAT THE WOK/SKILLET
You need ample heat to make a good stir-fry. A cold wok/skillet is definitely a bad start. Make sure you preheat the wok/skillet until hot and then add Carapelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
4. COOK THE STEAK FIRST
Add the thinly sliced and marinated steak, and let it cook undisturbed for about 30 seconds and then stir fry briefly until no longer pink. Then dish out to a serving platter.
5. COOK THE VEGGIES NEXT
All those brown bits left from cooking the steak are one of the key ingredients to the amazing flavor. Don’t wash it off or scrape it off. Add more Carapelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil and then stir fry the veggies.
Adding some liquid, in this case, the cooking wine, will deglaze the wok/skillet and all those brown bits earlier will be loosened and impart amazing flavor to your stir-fry. This is the time you want to scrape the bottom of the wok/skillet.
7. EVERYTHING BACK TO THE WOK/SKILLET
Add the steak back to the wok/skillet and if you choose to, you can add the baby broccoli into the wok/skillet too (or just serve them separately). Add the sauce and continue to stir fry until the sauce thickens.
8. ASSEMBLE INTO RICE BOWLS
Portion the cooked rice into a bowl. Spoon the steak and veggies on the side of the rice along with the sauce, or if you serve the baby broccoli separately, arrange 2-3 stalks baby broccoli on the other side. Serve immediately.
It really is not hard to make a good stir-fry at home if you have good tips like the ones I’ve discussed above. You don’t need a wok to do the job too. Carapelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil also effortlessly elevates the taste of this Chinese five-spice sizzling steak stir-fry with its vibrant aroma and rich texture. It pairs so well with the steak and the greens!
If you haven’t tried Carapelli Unfiltered Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil before, I highly encourage you to do so. The distinctive quality of Carapelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil will not disappoint. For more information, recipe ideas, and where to buy Carapelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil, simply click here
Chinese Five-Spice Sizzling Steak Stir-fry Rice Bowl4 servings
- 1 lb skirt steak or flank steak
- 3 Tbsp Carapelli Unfiltered Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil - divided
- 2 Tbsp shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp fresh ginger - peel and grate
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups bell peppers (mixture of red, green, yellow, or orange)
- 8 oz baby broccoli
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp cornstarch
Marinade the steak:
- Place the steak in the freezer for about 15 minutes and then thinly slice across the grain
- While the steak is in the freezer, place all the marinade ingredients and aromatics into a large bowl. Whisk to mix. Add the thinly sliced beef and marinade for 30 minutes at room temperature
Prepare other things:
- Veggies: While waiting for the steak to marinate, peel and cut the onion into large wedges. Seeded the bell peppers and cut into about 1-inch square
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add baby broccoli and blanch for about 2 minutes and then quickly submerge in cold water to stop the cooking process. Remove and drain water off
- Place baby broccoli on a plate. You can either leave it as is or drizzle with 1 Tbsp Carapelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil and freshly ground sea salt to serve with the rice bowl later or you can use include them in the stir-fry after blanching. Set aside
- Sauce: whisk all the ingredients for sauce and set aside
- Preheat a wok or large skillet over medium to high heat. When it's hot, add 1 Tbsp of Carapelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Add the steak and let it cook undisturbed for about 30 seconds and then stir to turn the beef and cook again for another 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from the wok/skillet to a plate
- In the same wok/skillet. Add another 1 Tbsp of Carapelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Add bell peppers and onion. Stir fry for about 2 minutes or until the veggies are soft but still slightly crunchy
- Deglaze with Shaoxing wine or dry sherry. Scrape the bottom of the wok/skillet to remove any little bits that stuck at the bottom when you cook the steak earlier. This adds extra flavor to the overall dish
- Add the steak and baby broccoli in (if you choose to not serve separately). Give the sauce one last stir to make sure the cornstarch doesn't settle at the bottom. Pour into the wok/skillet and continue to stir fry until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from the heat
- Portion cooked rice on a bowl. Spoon the steak and veggies on the side of the rice along with the sauce or if you serve the baby broccoli separately, arrange 2-3 stalks baby broccoli on the other side. Serve immediately
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.