Super Delicious Kimchi Bokkeumbap (Kimchi Fried Rice) – Rice is stir-fried with kimchi, shredded pork belly, gochujang to bring your one of the most delicious fried rice that you want to make over and over.
If you love kimchi like I do, you definitely need this kimchi bokkeumbap in your life right about now! Our family has a major weakness when it comes to fried rice of any kind. I usually cook extra rice for this purpose!
This blog post contains affiliate links. I earn a small commission when you made purchase at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE A GOOD BASIC DELICIOUS KIMCHI BOKKEUMBAP
1. Cooked Rice
Day old cooked rice is best but same-day cooked rice is acceptable too. Just make sure they are room temperature. I used leftover cooked long-grain rice. You can use medium to short grain rice. The latter will give you a “stickier” texture.
2. Kimchi (and its juice!!!)
Doh?!? You can use homemade kimchi or your favorite store-bought kimchi. SAVE THE JUICE! The juice is used in the fried rice and it adds that extra oomph to the fried rice if you ask me.
This is one of quintessential ingredients in Korean pantry. It is made with chili powder, glutinous rice, and fermented soy beans and then fermented for certain period of time. It is salty, spicy, with some hint of sweetness. They are used in bibimbap and many other Korean dishes
4. Pork belly/bacon
You can skip this for meatless option. If you choose to use pork belly/bacon, it will and an extra nice flavor to your fried rice (who doesn’t like pork belly/bacon right?)
5. Sesame oil
I love having sesame oil in this kimchi bokkeumbap because of the nuttiness the sesame oil gives. If you are not a fan, skip!
6. White roasted sesame seeds
This add a nice texture and contribute some great nutty flavor
7. Roasted seaweed (Korean or Japanese style seaweed)
Best added just before serving, this seaweed add a nice contrast of texture too). The Japanese roasted seaweed (nori seaweed) is unseasoned. Korean roasted seaweed is salted and has light sesame oil aroma.
HOW TO MAKE SUPER DELICIOUS KIMCHI BOKKEUMBAP IN A NUTSHELL
1. Well preheated wok-skillet (get used to seeing this sentence!)
2. Stir fry the pork belly/bacon first to render the fat (if using)
3. Cook the onion/white part of green onion, kimchi, and gochujang
4. Add rice and sesame oil and stir to mix everything
5. Garnish with sesame seeds and strips of roasted seaweed
Super Delicious Kimchi Bokkeumbap (Kimchi Fried Rice)
- 4 oz (about 100gr) pork belly/bacon cut into
- 1 ½ cup kimchi Coarsely chopped
- 4 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 stalks green onions separate white and greens. Thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp kimchi juice
- 3 Tbsp gochujang
- Salt or soy sauce to taste if needed
- White sesame seeds
- 1 sheet Roasted seaweed cut into 2-inch strips
- Heat a wok/large skillet until really hot. Add the pork belly and cook until the fat render and the meat is browned but not crispy. Remove some of the oil if it's too much, leaving about 1 Tbsp in the wok/skillet. Add white part of green onion, kimchi and its juice and gochujang. Stir fry for about 5 minutes
- Add the rice and stir to mix everything. Drizzle in the sesame oil. Have a taste and season with more salt if needed. You can season with soy sauce too. It's up to you. Sprinkle with the sliced green part of green onions
- Just before serving, garnish with white sesame seeds and seaweed and serve immediately
Is it weird that I saw this on food gawker and exactly know it is you? 😀
ha..ha..ha..yes it’s WEIRD !!!!
Nice Recipe Keep Posting