I like making stir-fry. They are usually easy and it is a great way to used up leftovers of veggies or meats, seafood, here and there. Stir-fried quinoa can’t be healthier and satisfying. I first learned about Quinoa probably 6 years ago when I first moved to Minnesota. These grains are just packed with nutrients and has sure gained popularity over the years. If you love you learn more about Quinoa, Helen from Well-Being Secrets wrote great articles about the health benefit of quinoa
So, this stir-fried quinoa is basically like making a fried rice, but instead of using white or brown rice, I replace it with quinoa. Feel free to use whatever vegetables or meat (or not meat) you have leftover. You have a tasty meal in no time!!
STIR-FRIED QUINOA (4-6 servings)
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 2 Tbsp of cooking oil
- 1 Tbsp of red pepper flakes optional
- 2 garlic peeled and finely minced
- 1 lb of large uncooked shrimps or you can make this with extra firm tofu shelled, deveined and pat dry, cut into cubes
- 1 cup of frozen green peas thawed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6-8 large shallots -optional peeled and thinly sliced
- Oil for deep-frying
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Cook the quinoa as directed on the package. I actually used a bit less water called for in the instruction.. Once it is done, let them cool completely.
- Preheat about 1-inch of oil in a small saucepan on medium to high heat. When they are hot, add in the sliced shallots and be careful to control the heat and not to let it brown too much (mine was a bit too brown for my liking). Remove them with slotted spoon and place on absorbent paper towel and let them cool down for about 10 minutes. Heat the same oil back up again and then fry the shallots for second time, this will brown very quickly and remove quickly with slotted spoon and remove the pan from the heat if necessary to prevent them from browning too much. Let them cool completely
- Preheat your wok or skillet. Add in the cooking oil. Add in the red pepper flakes and stir fry for about 20 seconds. Add in garlic and stir fry for about 10 seconds and add in the shrimps and stir fry until they turn pink. Add in the green peas and stir again for about 1 minute. Add in the cooked quinoa and stir to mix everything. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Turn off the heat and garnish with fried crispy shallots and fresh cilantro and serve immediately