Learn how to make this easy and warming Javanese style sweet and creamy hot beverage made with peanuts, ginger, and coconut cream in. Both coconut and no-coconut version included.
WEDANG KACANG MAGELANG
Wedang is the Javanese word for hot/warm beverage. Wedang kacang is a popular hot beverage made with shelled and skin-removed peanuts, coconut cream, sugar, ginger, pandan leaves, and sometimes spices. Wedang kacang can be traced back to the city of Magelang located in Central Java. The peanuts are cooked until soft with pandan leaves, sugar, ginger, and then coconut cream is added for the creamy texture. Wedang kacang is usually served warm. If you ask me, I would treat this as a dessert too 🙂 Something so humble yet enough to get me hooked!
WHAT KIND OF PEANUTS TO USE FOR WEDANG KACANG TANAH
Traditionally, kacang tanah is used to make wedang kacang. Kacang tanah is what we know as peanuts here in the U.S. If you bought peanuts that are still in shells, you need to remove shells and also the paper-thin skin of the peanuts. I feel like it’s a lot of work 🙂 I just use the store-bought dry-roasted peanuts. No shells and skin to remove. They are ready to be used straight away!
There are also different kind of beans used to make wedang, such as green mung beans, red beans, and soy. All these three are also called “kacang” in Indonesian language, although they are technically not in the nuts category.
WHY YOU’LL LIKE THIS WEDANG KACANG RECIPE
1. Taste is spot-on
The family’s feedback was the wedang kacang wasn’t too sweet, the peanuts are perfectly soft
2. Peanuts are pressure-cooked
Pressure cooking the peanuts save some time and they are perfectly soft and not to mention convenient
3. Can be made two ways
The wedang kacang can be made two ways: wedang kacang tanpa santan (without coconut cream) or wedang kacang santan (with coconut cream)
Wedang kacang is super easy to make. You only need peanuts, coconut cream, pandan leaves, ginger, sugar, and salt. I used store-bought roasted peanuts. I usually prefer canned coconut cream, but this coconut cream powder works well too. Frozen pandan leaves, coconut cream, and ginger can be easily found at Asian grocery store.
TOP TIPS FOR MAKING GOOD WEDANG KACANG TANAH
1. Use already pre-shelled and skin removed peanuts if available for you
It will save you TONS of time.
2. Slice the ginger
Instead of throwing the whole knob of ginger, slice the ginger. This helps to release more of the ginger flavor to the wedang.
3. Stir in coconut cream last
This will prevent the coconut cream from separating. When you boil them on high heat, they will separate. You don’t want that in your wedang that’s for sure.
HOW TO MAKE GOOD WEDANG KACANG MAGELANG
1. Place the peanuts, water, sugar, sliced ginger, and knotted pandan leaves in pressure cooker or pot (if cooking on the stove)
2. If using pressure cooker, cook on high pressure for 30 minutes (I recommend 45 minutes if you have the time). If cooking on the stove, bring the water to a boil and then cover and lower the heat to let it gently simmer until the peanuts are soft, about 1 hour or longer
3. Stir in coconut cream
If you plan to use coconut cream, stir it in and turn off the heat. Let the residual heat warm up the coconut cream. This will help to prevent the coconut cream from separating
4. Have a taste
Add more sugar if you like it sweeter. Serve it warm or hot
In case you are wondering why the peanuts in my wedang kacang are darker in color, it’s because I used roasted peanuts 🙂
Wedang Kacang Tanah (Two Ways)
- 250 gr peanuts (shelled and skin removed) I used store-bought dry roasted peanuts
- 500 ml water
- 2 pandan leaves knotted
- 100 gr sugar
- 30 gr fresh ginger peeled and sliced
- 200 ml coconut cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
Cooking with Instant pot pressure cooker:
- Place the peanuts, water, pandan leaves, fresh ginger, sugar in the inner pot of instant pot. Cover the lid and turn the steam release valve to seal. Press pressure cooker, high pressure, and set the timer to 30 minutes. This will give you a soft, but slightly firm peanuts. I set mine to 45 minutes. I prefer the even softer texture
- Once the timer is up, wait 5 minutes and then release pressure. Unlock the lid. If you are not using coconut cream, the wedang kacang is ready to be served. If you are using coconut cream, stir it in now. There's no need to boil it. The residual heat is enough to warm up the coconut cream.
- Have a taste. Add more sugar if you like it sweeter. Serve warm
Cooking on the stove:
- Place the peanuts, water, pandan leaves, fresh ginger, sugar in a medium-size pot. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to simmer. Cover the lid and let the peanuts gently simmer for the next 1 hour or longer or until the peanuts or soft
- Once you are happy with the texture of the peanuts, turn off the heat. If you are not using coconut cream, the wedang kacang is ready to be served. If you are using coconut cream, stir it in now. There's no need to boil it. The residual heat is enough to warm up the coconut cream.
- Have a taste and add more sugar as needed to your taste. Serve warm