Black bean sauce is quite a popular ingredient in the Chinese kitchen. The black bean sauce is made by fermenting the black bean in salt and spices. When you taste it, it is quite salty and which is why it is often used in stir-fry meat dishes.
You will find this beef with black bean sauce is really simple to prepare and very flavorful. It’s a bit spicy, salty and light aroma of the ginger at the background makes this dish very appetizing.
- 1 lb lean steak slice into thin strips
- 4 Tbsp black bean sauce
- 1 small piece of ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup of beef stock or water
- 2 Tbsp of red chili paste you can buy this readily from grocery store that carry Asian ingredients
- Dash of freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- Few sprigs of cilantro leaves
I found it easier to slice the beef thinly, when you freeze them for about 15 minutes before cutting. Heat the oil in the wok or skillet. Add in onion, garlic and chili paste, stir fry until the onion is soft and ginger is fragrant
Add in the beef and stir fry until it's cooked. Add in the black bean sauce, stock/water. Bring to quick boil. Add in the ground black pepper and pinch of sugar. Have a taste and add more salt if necessary
Garnish with few sprigs of cilantro leaves. Serve immediately with steamed rice if prefer