Tofu is a great alternative to non-animal base protein you can include in a diet. I kinda think of it like a cheese in the western diet. They are made of soy beans that are cooked and then pressed into soy milk. A coagulant is added to make the milk curd. The curd is then pressed into white cakes you see as tofu. They are available from silken to extra-firm tofu. The extra-firm tofu, which is used in this recipe, has more moisture pressed out and hence, it is denser and hold its shape better when you cook it. The silken (the softest of all) is very fragile and doesn’t hold its shape as much if you tinker with it too much, but it melt in your mouth and super smooth. My daughter likes the silken tofu compares to the firm or extra-firm tofu.
Tofu is widely used in the Chinese kitchen for stir-fry, soup/stew, and desserts. It is my choice of protein when I don’t feel like cooking any meat or fish dishes. You will find this broiled tofu with mango chutney is simple to prepare and delicious at the same time.
- 1 (12-oz) package of extra-firm tofu (drained off water and pat dry with absorbent paper towel)
- 1 small onion (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 medium tomato (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 2 red chilis (seeded if you like and finely chopped)-optional
- 3/4 cup of mango chutney
- 1 lb of mustard greens (cut off the woody stems)
- 2 Tbsp of grape seeds oil or oil of your choice
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Blanch the mustard greens until soft but still green. Set aside
- Preheat oil in a skillet. Add in onion and bell pepper and saute until soft and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Add in the tomato and mango chutney. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and let it gently simmer for about 5 minutes
- Preheat your oven to a high broil. Line your baking sheet with a parchment paper and cooking spray. Cut the tofu into half horizontally, so you get like a sandwich bread and then cut each piece into 4 triangles. Use a brush to brush the tofu with the sauce you prepared above. Broil for 5 minutes and then turn over and brush with the sauce and broil for another 5 minutes. Watch out not to let it burn. It should be golden brown. Remove from the oven
- Get a serving platter out. Line the platter with the cooked mustard green. Place the tofu on top of the mustard greens and pour the mango chutney sauce over it and serve immediately