Burger Daging Sapi (Indonesian Beef Burger) – This Indo Western fusion burger is popular street food and the special sambal sauce used to dress this burger is what makes it irresistibly good.
Okay you are thinking…burger? Indonesia? The truth is of course burger is not an authentic Indonesian food. It is one of the incredibly popular street food in Indonesia however! I remember as a kid in Indonesia, I loved to watch the guy cooking and flipping meat patties in his pushcart. Street food burgers were one of mine and my siblings favorite foods.
There is also chicken burger (Burger Daging Ayam) available where the ground chicken patties are breaded and fried. Nothing new than you already know.
WHAT MAKES INDONESIAN BEEF BURGER SPECIAL THEN?
*This post contains affiliate links, which support this site at no extra cost to you
It’s the sauce that is used to dress this burger is what makes it special. Of course, there are many other varieties of sauces different sellers would use, but to me the “original” version would be the combination of mayonnaise and spicy sambal sauce, for example, Sambal ABC. I grew up with Sambal ABC since I was a kid!! This is like our multipurpose sambal that we used to eat with chicken, fries, and pretty much anything. This was before Sriracha chili sauce exists.
The burger is usually also served with a piece of lettuce, a slice of tomato and sometimes a slice of cucumber. A typical anatomy of Indonesian burger!
The combination of kewpie mayo and sambal is sooo good! At least to me! My childhood flashed right in front of me at the first bite of this burger! Immediately I yearned for that street food burger!
I made a deluxe version by adding a fried egg 😉
Eating this street food burger as a kid, was as close as we can get to Western food (before Mc. Donald’s and other burger chains opened up at my hometown!). It got us excited as a kid! My parents, of course, consider burger as a snack and not a real meal because a real meal would involve rice and several dishes and a soup! 🙂
Burger Daging Sapi (Indonesian Beef Burger)
- 450 gr ground beef
- 150 gr bread crumb
- 1 medium onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 Tbsp Butter and more for the buns
- Fresh lettuce
- 1 large tomato sliced
- Hamburger buns I used brioche buns
- Fried eggs
- Mix all the ingredients for burger patties, except for butter, in a large mixing bowl. Take care not to overmix the meat so it won't be tough. Shape them into a patty about 5-inch in diameter and about 1/2-inch thick. You should be able to make about 12 patties
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Cook the beef patties about 3-5 minutes on each side, depending on the doneness you like and also the thickness of the patty. Repeat with the rest of the patty
Dressing the burger:
- Brush both sides of the burger with butter and then briefly toast them on the skillet or in a toaster
- Place a piece of lettuce, follow by tomato and cucumber if using. Place the meat patty on top. Dress with kewpie mayo and sambal. Top with fried egg and then close with the top bun and serve immediately
Other Indonesian Street Food you might like:
TEMPEH MENDOAN / CRISPY THIN FRIED SPICED TEMPEH
KETOPRAK / VERMICELLI TOFU SALAD AND PEANUT DRESSING
MARTABAK MESIR (INDONESIAN BEEF STUFFED PANCAKES)