I’ve always loved Hawaiian rolls. They always remind me of the “roti manis (sweet rolls)” I used to eat when I was young. There used to be a bakery near our house and I often went there to get the roti manis, fresh from the oven. In fact, that’s where all the bread we ate were from. Freshly baked daily!! Okay, baked to the Hawaiian rolls, they are soft, just slightly sweet and so good to just eat on their own. I can finish the whole pack (12 rolls) on my own if you let me.
So, lazy day call for lazy measure and olive, bacon and cheese rolls are all about that 😉 These olive, bacon and cheese rolls are the toppings on the Hawaiian rolls in this recipe. I’ve mentioned before that I’m not too much of an olive fan, but this work nicely with bacon, cheese and the Hawaiian rolls. I’ve so many left over of olives I purchased for use in other recipes and decided to put everything together. I’m amazed by how good these taste. The slightly salty olives, the flavorful and crispy bacon, the melted cheese, the Hawaiian rolls…man!!! I love these stuff!! So easy to make and great as side dishes or to me, as snacks!!
OLIVE, BACON AND CHEESE ROLLS
- 1 pack of King's Hawaiian rolls (12 rolls) or any dinner rolls you like to use
- ½ cup pimento-stuffed olives (drained off liquid and briefly rinse with cold water and finely chopped)
- 4 medium spring onion (finely chopped)
- ¼ cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup finely shredded Cheddar cheese + more for sprinkling
- 10 slices bacon
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. While waiting, prepare the bread by cutting the rolls from the top down in the middle, but not cutting all the way through bottom
- Prepare the filling by placing the strips of bacon on a non-sticky skillet and cook until crispy. Place on paper towel to drain off extra fat and let them cool down and then crumble into tiny bits
- Mix the bacon, mayonnaise, spring onion, olives and cheese. Spoon about 1 Tbsp or more of the filling into the pocket you made on the rolls earlier and then sprinkle some cheese on top. Repeat with the rest of the fillings and rolls. Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is nicely melted