Pressure Cooker Dim Sum Pork Ribs with Black Beans- Chinese-style pork ribs are pressured cooked and fall-off-the-bone tender. Cooking method by steaming is also included
My little journey with instant pot continues. There are still some trial and errors going on as I’m learning how to use it. I thought I put it to test with making some pork ribs. The Chinese style!
This pressure cooker Chinese pork ribs are inspired by the one usually served at dim sum restaurant, usually made with spare ribs and cut into smaller pieces.
The pork is marinated in seasonings, and then topped with ginger, garlic and also fermented black bean (dou si). Fermented black bean has an intense savory umami taste and very often used in Chinese cooking. Such an incredibly robust flavor it adds to the overall taste of this dish. Love the addition of chili in there too. I love biting into savory, gingery, spicy, umami, and oh..just so good!
This blog post contains affiliate links. I earn a small commission when you made purchase at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
Recipe is written for 6-quart Instant Pot. Cooking time should remain the same for 8-quart size but will take longer to pressurize. For mini duo (3-quart), I recommend to half the recipe and use the same amount of time to cook.
Pressure Cooker Dim Sum Pork Ribs with Black Beans
- 1 lb baby back or spare ribs ask butcher to cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 Tbsp fermented black beans (dou si)
- 1 Tbsp Shaoxing wine / dry sherry
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 2 Red Bird's eye chilis optional, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 stalk green onion finely chopped
- In a bowl that will fit into your instant pot for pressure cooking later, add pork ribs and the seasonings and using your clean hand to mix everything and let it marinade for at least 30 minutes or 1 hour or overnight if you have the time
- When ready to cook, add the ginger, garlic, fermented black beans, red chili to the ribs mixture and toss to mix again
Cooking with Instant pot pressure cooker:
- Put 2 cups of water in instant pot. Put your trivet in. Place the bowl with pork ribs you marinade earlier on top of the trivet. Close the lid and steam release handle is turned to seal. Press Pressure Cook and then High Pressure for 12 minutes. It will take about 5 minutes to pressurize
- Once it is done cooking in Instant Pot, wait for 5 minutes then turn steam release handle to venting. Open the lid and carefully lift the pork ribs out from the pot. Sprinkle with some green onion. Enjoy
If using steamer:
- Get your steamer ready by filling it up with water and bring it to a boil. Place the bowl of pork ribs in the steamer and steam the ribs for about 20 minutes or until they are cooked through and tender. If your ribs are in smaller pieces, it will take about 15 minutes to cook. Be sure to check the water level and refill with some if it almost runs out. Serve immediately
Other Instant Pot recipes are here
Other PORK RIBS recipes you might like:
ONE-HOUR MISO HONEY PORK RIBS AND SOBA NOODLE SALAD
PORK RIBS SOUP WITH GINSENG
APPLE AND PORK RIBS SOUP
PRAWN NOODLE SOUP WITH PORK RIBS
DOUBLE-BOILED PORK RIBS WITH BITTER MELON SOUP
BRAISED PORK RIBS WITH BEAN PASTE
Super yum as I recalled. Will chicken wing drummettes work?
Hi Nicole, definitely! the cooking time should be the same too. Happy experimenting 🙂