Spaghetti fritters (Frittelle di spaghetti). The fritters are soft in the middle and crunchy on the edge. This is like eating spaghetti in a different way I knew. So delicious!
I had never seen or heard of fried spaghetti dishes before until I saw it on Jamie’s Italy cookbook. It’s basically a pan-fried pasta dish that I’ve NO regrets trying out. In fact I make these spaghetti fritters so often because they have become our favorite. Sometimes, I cook some extra spaghetti when I make other spaghetti dishes so that I can make these fritters.
In this recipe, Jamie Oliver included his favorite ingredients such as chili and Italian key ingredients like Parsley and Parmesan cheese. This dish can be altered to suit what you like, you can vary the flavor in different ways, by adding chopped-up tomatoes, olives, anchovies, bacon/pork belly etc. The fritters should be soft in the middle and crunchy on the outside. This is like eating spaghetti in a different way I knew. So very delicious! This is aslo one of my most popular recipes on the blog !!
These were actually made of leftover spaghetti that we had, which had marinara sauce, peas, and anchovies in it already. So I just added parmesan cheese and eggs.
Spaghetti fritters (Frittelle di spaghetti) (About 8-10 small fritters)
- 7 oz dried pasta cooked as per package instruction
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled and finely chopped
- A handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 handfuls of freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Crumbled sea salt and freshly ground Black pepper
- Cooking oil
- 4 oz of bacon or pork belly and/or 2 anchovies diced into small pieces, roughly chopped
- Red pepper flakes
- If you choose to use bacon or pork belly, let them fry in the pan without oil until cooked through and somewhat crispy. Save the oil to pan fry the spaghetti later
- Put all your ingredients, apart from the spaghetti and olive oil, into a bowl and mix together. Add your spaghetti to a pan of salted, boiling water and cook as per package instruction. Drain the pasta in a colander and rinse under cold water to cool it down. Once the pasta is cool, snip it with kitchen shears (scissors) into pieces roughly 3 inches long and add them to the bowl. Mix everything well
- Pour a little oil into a pan and place on the heat. Then, using a fork, add piles (as big or as small as you like) of the spaghetti mixture to the pan and fry until golden and crisp on both sides. It's delicious to fry the fritters in a slightly hotter pan so they become really golden on the edges but are a bit softer and warm inside. Sprinkle with sea salt before serving and some red pepper flakes if you like
I think you will also like these:
CRISPY BAKED MEXICAN WONTONS