Zucchini is abundance in summer time and I love zucchini. My kids… not so much unless I made some breads, pancakes, or fritters with it. I was trying to use up all the zucchinis that we had around before they went bad. I decided to shred them and stir-frying them. Both kids would eat it !!! I never expected they would, but they did. I’ve been cooking them several times since and they ate it…still !! wow !! To me, the stir-fried shredded zucchini with dried shrimp tastes pretty similar to the filling of this steamed vegetable wrap. The dried shrimps are really flavoring this dish up nicely. It’s a nice addition to my vegetable recipes for sure.
I’m aware that not everyone likes dried shrimp or ever tasted one. If you are not too familiar with Southeast Asian cooking, chances are you probably never use dried shrimp in your cooking before. You can still make this dish by using fresh shrimps instead. Read notes on recipe below.
STIR-FRIED SHREDDED ZUCCHINI WITH DRIED SHRIMPS (4 servings)
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 small carrot
- 1 Tbsp of cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- ½ cup of dried shrimps soak in warm water until soft and then roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Wash the zucchini and do not peel off the skin. Trim both ends and use mandoline to julienne the zucchini. Peel the skin off carrots and cut into julienne as well
- Preheat a wok or large skillet. Add in cooking oil and stir-fry the garlic for about 30 seconds. Add in the chopped dried shrimp and stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minute or so. Add in the julienned carrot and stir-fry for about 5 minutes or until they are started to get soft and add in the zucchini and cook for another 3 minutes or until they are soft but not mushy. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Remove from heat to serving platter and serve with rice and other dishes immediately