Claypot chicken rice is usually a dinner dish in the southern regions of China, Singapore and Malaysia. It is typically served with Chinese sausage and vegetables. More often than not, the rice is cooked in the claypot first and cooked ingredients like diced chicken and Chinese sausage are added in later.
Traditionally, the cooking is done over a charcoal stove, giving the dish a distinctive flavour. Some places serve it with dark soya sauce and also dried salted fish. Salted fish enhances the taste of the claypot chicken rice, depending on the diner’s preference. Due to the time-consuming method of preparation and slow-cooking in a claypot, customers might have to wait a period of time (typically 15-30 minutes) before the dish is ready.
If you don’t have a claypot, you can make this dish too. You can use your regular pot or even a rice cooker. I’ve made some before using Dutch oven and rice cooker. Since I have a claypot now, I tried to make some with the claypot 🙂
It will appear to be difficult to clean the pot later because of all the crusts that are formed underneath, but if you soak them in the water for a while, you won’t find it difficult to clean the pot.
- 3 cups of uncooked long grain rice (washed and drain off water)
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 1 lb of chicken meat (cut into pieces)
- 4 shitake mushrooms (soaked and cut into long strips or just halve them)
- 2 chinese sausages (lap cheong, cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 piece of salted mackerel fish (cut into smaller pieces)
- 1 thumb-size ginger (julienned)
- 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp shao xing wine
- Dash of white pepper powder
- 3 stalks spring onion (finely sliced)
- Dark soy sauce (to drizzle over the rice)
- In a small skillet, add in about 1 Tbsp of oil and pan-fry the salted mackerel fish until really fragrant and somewhat crispy. Set aside
- Place the mushrooms, chicken and ginger in a bowl and pour the marinade over and marinade for at least 1 hour or longer in the refrigerator
- If you are using claypot or other pot, place the washed rice into the claypot along with the chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and cover with the lid and cook for 15 minutes. The water will be absorbed by the end of 15 minutes but the rice is not fully cooked yet. Place the chicken, mushrooms, ginger, salted fish and chinese sausages on top of the rice. Cover the lid again and continue to cook for another 15-30 minutes or maybe longer until the rice is fluffy and the chicken is cooked through. If you are using rice cooker, you need to cook the rice with the water for about 15 minutes in a pot, and then transfer to the rice cooker and put the chicken and everything else on top of the rice and set your rice cooker to how you would usually cook a rice
- When ready to serve. Drizzle with some dark soy sauce and sprinkle on the spring onion and serve immediately
Have a great day and thank you for stopping by