Cheesy Kimchi Rice Cakes – Plain rice turned into incredible rice cakes that are filled with cheesy savory goodness #CheeseLove
Our son is going through this phase of being obsessed with cheese. Actually, it’s not really a phase I think because he has always loves his cheese for as long as I can remember. Lately, though, he wants everything with cheese, like LITERALLY everything! “Mom, can I drink my milk with cheese?” Like seriously?!?
So yes, we always have Crystal Farms® Cheese in stock in the fridge. Well, my son always makes sure I don’t forget anyway, so there’s no chance 😉 Why Crystal Farms® Cheese you ask? We live in Minnesota and we love cheeses from our neighbor, Wisconsin 😉 Crystal Farms® Cheese is located in Wisconsin. My son loves their Cheddar cheese which is aged for at least 60 days! Wow! It’s a long time for something that my son polished off in less than few seconds 🙂
With the holiday season fast approaching, I want to share with you guys our family’s favorite Cheesy Kimchi Rice Cakes, which will be a perfect side dish to accompany your feast. The inspiration for this dish, of course, comes from my son who demands cheese in many of his food. It’s made with leftover rice, eggs, kimchi, green onion and Crystal Farms® Cheese.
These Cheesy Kimchi Rice Cakes are truly so easy. Pretty much just mix all the ingredients in a bowl and ready to be pan-fried!
As they are cooking, the cheese slowly melts and the edge gets crispy while the middle is still soft. The aroma when the cheese melts…oh my…just love it!
My favorite part of course when I see those strands of melty gooey cheese inside the rice cakes…mmm….!!!
We always have leftover rice in our house but if you don’t, no worries, you can still make the rice on the same day, which takes like 20 minutes and you can proceed to make these Cheesy Kimchi Rice Cakes.
If you worry that kids might not like the kimchi in there, you can substitute with other vegetables like peas, edamame, or whatever you guys prefer. My kids won’t eat kimchi on its own, but they don’t even notice it in these rice cakes. It’s just a perfect balance of savory and just a hint of zing from the kimchi, which they don’t mind at all. The Cheese just makes everything tastes good!
So the next time you are in the dairy section at your grocery store, do yourself a favor and grab some of Crystal Farms® Cheese. This Cheesy Kimchi Rice Cakes will catch attention to whoever you serve them to 😉 In a good way!
Cheesy Kimchi Rice Cakes
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cooked white rice / brown rice
- 2 cups Crystal Farms® Cheedar Cheese
- 1 cup kimchi without liquid, chopped
- 2 stalk green onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black peppers
- Cooking oil
To cook the rice (if you don't have leftover rice):
- 1 cup white rice grain
- 2 cups water
- Small pinch of salt
If you don't have leftover rice, here's how to cook the rice (You can prepare few days before):
- Rinse the rice in clean water until the water runs clear. Place 2 cups of water in medium saucepan that has tight-fitting lid. Bring the water to a boil. Add the rice and bring it back to boil and then lower the heat to simmer. Place the lid on and let it cook for 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed and the rice is soft and cooked through. Turn off the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes. Uncover and fluff the rice with fork
Making the rice cakes:
- In a large mixing bowl, crack in eggs, beaten. Add the rest of the ingredients. Stir to mix everything. It will be a thick batter
- Preheat a large skillet on high heat, add 1 Tbsp cooking oil, use two spoons to drop about a heap of the rice batter and slightly flatten a little bit. Lower the heat to medium if necessary to prevent burning. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side. The sides will be crispy as the cheese melted. Remove from the heat and place on an absorbent paper towel. Repeat until you use up all the rice batter
- Serve while warm along with main dish
YOU MAY ALSO WIN CRYSTAL FARM CHEESE!!!
Crystal Farm will give away 3 free Crystal Farm Cheese coupons. All you need to do is to visit Crystal Farm Website and then leave me a comment below with which cheese you want and which recipe you will use the cheese in. Simple as that! One lucky winner will be chosen on November 26, 2017 **UPDATE:GIVEAWAY IS CLOSED**
Don’t forget to check out more recipe inspirations here.
Aww thank you 🙂 yes added the egg but it still didn’t stick 🙁 but everyone loved the fried rice! 🙂
I tried this recipe and it was delicious!!! Only thing was my fritters wouldn’t stick!! 😂 so I ended up making kimchi cheese fried rice (kimchi bokkeum hap)!
ohh…that’s weird. Even with the eggs the rice still wouldn’t stick eh? hmmm!!! But such a clever idea to make it into fried rice 🙂
The ham broccoli swiss casserole looks amazing, i’d add in some bacon for extra oomph. I love all kinds of cheese, swiss and cheddar are my fave
Oh my gosh those cakes look gourmet!
I love these cakes and I even have some kimchi in my fridge! A beautiful and simple recipe, I am sure we would all love it!