Last updated on May 4th, 2017
Yes, I’m having some “hawker food” fever these past few days. The beef hor fun, the laksa and now the crispy noodles and seafood claypot. I really don’t mind being treated to a fancy restaurant for a nice meal or going to a Chinese banquet with 10-course meal, but to me, there are always something about hawker food or street food that I like and I just can’t explain that feeling. Whenever I travel to other countries, I’m always intrigued to try out the food from street vendors or drawn to hawker centers. Perhaps food are affordable there and most importantly tasty!
So, I embarked on another quest to recreate this crispy noodles and seafood claypot at my humble kitchen. Not the healthiest dish I must admit, but it’s okay to have it every now and then.
This crispy noodles and seafood claypot is easy to prepare. The egg noodles are deep-fried so they are crunchy and the thick gravy are pour on top of the noodles along with the seafood. The texture and taste of this dish are just perfect!
CRISPY NOODLES AND SEAFOOD CLAYPOT
- About 1/2 lb of fresh egg noodles
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 8 jumbo prawns (shelled and deveined)
- 6 oz of white fish fillet (cut into big chunks)
- 1 cup of squids
- 3-4 stalks of Chinese greens /chye sim (cut into 2-3 pieces)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 3 Tbsp corn starch + 3 Tbsp water
- Oil for deep-frying
- Loosen up the bundles of noodles with your hands. Preheat enough oil in a wok or skillet. Place the the egg noodles, batch by batch into the hot oil and deep-fry until golden brown and crispy. Lay on the paper towel to drain. Arrange the deep-fried noodles into the clay pot dish
- In a medium-size pot, bring a water to a boil, blanch the seafood and chye sim in boiling water for 2 minutes until cooked. Drain and put on top of crispy noodles
- Heat up 2 Tbsp of cooking oil and fry chopped garlic until fragrant. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add in oyster sauce, soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the corn starch with water and give it a stir before pouring it in. Pour the corn starch mixture into the wok. Lastly, add the beaten egg. Stir quickly to get creamy thick sauce and pour over crispy noodles in claypot. Serve immediately