Another green bean stir-fry ? Well, I did make a green bean stir-fry with chili a while back and that was good. So I don’t think it’s gonna hurt having another green bean stir-fry, will it ? The reason why I put the word “Deluxe” to this recipe was because the recipe doesn’t just use chili, but also shrimps.
This deluxe green bean stir-fry is a recipe of a good friend from Indonesia. Rumor has it that this is one of her “masterpieces” *wink*. It is no longer a rumor though because my husband and I completely love this dish. It’s hard for me to explain the exact taste but we like how sweet, salty and spicy they tasted at the same time. Thank you Ching for your contribution. We love it !
- 1 lb (450 g) green beans (both ends picked and slice diagonally lengthwise)
- 3-4 shallots (finely sliced)
- 6-7 (more if you like it spicier) mixture of green and red bird's chili or you can use serrano as well (seeded and sliced diagonally lengthwise)
- 3 oz (85 g) of shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 2 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil for stir-frying
- 1/4 cup of hot water or more as needed
- Sugar and Salt to taste
- Heat a skillet with lid and pour in the canola oil. Add in the shallots and stir-fry until fragrant and soft, add in the chili and continue to stir-fry until fragrant. Add in the shrimps and stir-fry for about 10 seconds then season with sugar and salt. The dish should be more at a sweet side but you should be able to just taste that hint of salt. So adjust the seasoning to your taste. I like it better at the sweet side
- Add the green beans in and stir everything to mix well. Add in about 1/4 cup of hot water and cover with lid. Lower down the heat and let it simmer gently until the green beans are soft and absorb the flavor. If you like the green beans crunchier, you don't have to cook it that long. I like mine really soft because the green beans really absorb the sweet, salty and spicyness. Uncover the lid and taste to see if you need to add more salt and sugar to your liking
- Serve hot with rice and other meat dishes