Easy and Quick Asian Fish Soup-Learn how to make a delicious quick and flavorful fish soup that will quickly become your weekly staple. Loaded with flavors.
SIMPLE FISH SOUP RECIPE
Easy and quick Asian fish soup is exactly as it sounds. I just named it Asian fish soup, because it’s not particularly specific to any country, but the recipe does call for common Southeast Asian ingredient such as fish sauce. It is one of our family favorites. My daughter loves sole fish fillet because they are so tender and melt in your mouth when you eat them. The base of this soup is incredibly easy to build as well. If you have fish stocks, great, you can use that to make this soup. I didn’t and I just use water and it still turns out so delicious.
WHAT KIND OF FISH CAN I USE IN THIS RECIPE?
Any white fish fillet would be suitable for this recipe. I have used sole and swai fillet before. You can use fish like cod, cat fish, tilapia, just to name a few.
WHY YOU’LL LIKE THIS FISH SOUP
First of all, it’s really easy and it feeds the whole family. This soup is highly addicting. We love it!!! so much! It looks red because of the tomatoes not because it is deadly spicy 😉 This soup has just the right balance of savory, hint of sweetness and slightly tart (from the lime juice). When you taste it, it reminds you of typical Southeast Asian food: sweet, salty, sour. It can be made spicy too by adding some bird’s eye chili when you process the aromatics in food processor.
HOW TO MAKE THIS SUPER EASY FLAVORFUL ASIAN FISH SOUP
1. Cut the fish into large chunks (about 3-inch chunks)
Don’t cut any smaller than that or they will break apart in the soup
2. Marinate the fish slices
Marinate with some cornstarch and fish sauce for 15 minutes. Some of you have asked do I need the cornstarch? My mom likes to do this with meat and fish because the cornstarch helps to give that smooth texture and helps to tenderize the flesh a bit. You can skip the cornstarch if you don’t want to
3. Place aromatics in food processor to finely chop them
4. Preheat a large heavy-bottom pot. Add cooking oil. Saute the aromatics over medium heat until aromatics, about 5 minutes
5. Pour in chicken stock and bring to a boil. Scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen any bits that got stuck earlier
6. Add celery (if using) and tomatoes and cook for about 10 minutes
7. Add the fish slices and lime juice and cook until the fish slices are cooked through
8. Have a final taste and add more fish sauce to your taste if needed. Remove from the heat. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro leaves
Final product will look like this.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS FISH SOUP
You can serve this with a bowl of plain white rice/brown rice, cooked quinoa. This is perfect to serve with rice noodles, bean thread noodles too. Just cook the noodles separately and then ladle the soup and fish slices over the noodles. There you have it, Asian Fish Soup with Noodles. My kids love it with bean thread noodles.
DISCLOSURE: This post contains affiliate links, which support this site at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
Easy and Quick Asian Fish Soup
- 2 lbs Swai fillet or sole fillet cut into large chunks
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups chopped celery optional
- 6 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 2 Tbsp Fish sauce or more to taste
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 fresh limes
- 5 shallots peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 inch piece of ginger
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and finely minced
- Cilantro leaves
- Place ginger, garlic, shallots in a food processor and finely chop them
- Place the fish fillet in a large mixing bowl. Add cornstarch and fish sauce and use a clean hand to toss the fish to let the cornstarch and fish sauce coat the fillet pieces. Set aside while you prepare the other things
- Preheat a large heavy-bottom pot with some oil. Add the chopped ginger, garlic, shallots and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat and let it simmer for about 15 minutes until thecelery and tomatoes are soft. You can prepare ahead up to this point
- When ready to serve the fish soup, bring the soup back to a gentle simmer and add the fish fillet and juice from 2 limes and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes. The fish is easily flaked if it's cooked through, if not, let it cook a bit longer. Have a taste and add more fish sauce to your taste if needed. Remove from the heat
- Ladle soup into serving bowl (family style) or individual serving bowl, and garnish with cilantro just before serving