I’m a big fan of ginger and gingerbread cookies are always one of my favorite cookies during this holiday time. Something about ginger that makes you think of “warmth” right ? Bite into these little goodies, not only you’ll find them delicious, that lemon icing is such a bonus. I love the tartness that cut through the sweetness. PERFECT! Thank you Martha!
Please weigh ingredients with a digital kitchen scale instead of using measuring cups as they are not very accurate especially when it comes to recipe that requires precision.
For The Cookies:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour - spooned and leveled, plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter - 2 sticks, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
For The Icing:
- 2-2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Sanding or coarse sugar - optional
- Make cookies: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar on medium-high until creamy, 3 minutes. Add egg and beat to combine. Add molasses and beat to combine, scraping down bowl as needed. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture and beat until combined. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate until firm, 1 hour (or up to 3 days)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to a 1/4-inch thickness. With a sharp knife or cookie cutter, cut dough into small 2-inch-wide triangles. Arrange triangles, 1 inch apart, on two parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until cookies are firm and golden at edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks
- Make sure all the cookies are ready for icing before you make the icing because the icing will solidify as they sit longer. To make icing: In a small bowl, combine lemon juice and confectioners' sugar and whisk until smooth. Drizzle icing over cooled cookies and sprinkle with sanding sugar, if desired.