Jollof rice is a popular dish in many parts of West Africa. The word jollof means “one pot”. It is thought to have originated in Senegal but has since spread to the whole of West Africa, especially Ghana, Nigeria and Liberia.
There are many varieties of Jollof rice, however the basic ingredients are pretty much using tomatoes, tomato paste and onion. Different kind of meat and vegetables can be added to jollof rice. The vibrant red color of jollof rice is contributed by the tomato paste added to the dish.
Combining meats is common in West African cooking. This particular jollof rice with chicken, beef and ham dish is very rich in flavor thanks to three different kinds of meat being used in this one dish.
We truly enjoyed this jollof rice with chicken, beef and ham. Not to mention how I always love making one-pot dish 😉 Another one-pot dish that is quite similar to jollof rice I’ve made before was arroz con pollo.
JOLLOF RICE WITH CHICKEN, BEEF AND HAM
- 3 Tbsp peanut oil
- ½ lb (250 g) beef, cut in chunks
- 2 lbs (1 kg) bone-in chicken (you can use thighs or breast or mixture of both and pull of the skin if you like, cut into smaller pieces with cleaver)
- 2 onions , chopped
- 2 tomatoes , chopped
- ¼ cup (100 g) tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 2 fresh hot peppers , chopped ( I used more because I like mine spicier)
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ lb (250 g) cooked ham, cut in chunks
- 1 ½ cups (300 g) long-grain white rice
- 3 hard-boiled eggs , peeled and sliced
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat and brown beef and chicken on all sides. Remove from pan and keep warm
- Add onions to the pot, lower heat to medium, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, peppers, ginger, salt and bay leaf. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes, uncovered
- Add in the broth and ham, bring to a boil and simmer another 10 minutes, uncovered. Add in the chicken pieces, beef and rice. Cover, lower heat and simmer about 20-30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and rice is soft
- Remove from heat and let sit 5 to 10 minute before serving. Garnish with hardboiled eggs