Kue Nagasari is made with rice flour and coconut milk batter with slices of banana wrapped in banana leaves and then steamed. These kue are favorites among many locals.
I can’t make Indonesian food without making this kue nagasari. It is one of my favorite snacks as a kid. My mom made these so often. One of the things I did whenever I came back from school was to open up the fridge to see what I can snack on. I often found kue nagasari there. At our house, we call it pisang kue (loosely translated as banana cake)
Nagasari has that pudding like texture or what my daughter describes it as soft and “Jiggly”. Though it’s not as jiggly as jello 😉 It is soft and somewhat bouncy.
Kue Nagasari (Indonesian Rice Flour Cake with Banana)
- Peel the banana and slice about 1/2-inch thickness at an angle. Set aside.
- Some banana leaves are thick and rigid, you may need to boil it briefly in a hot water for 1 minute or so until it's soft and pliable. It they are manageable without boiling, just wipe it clean with damp cloth on both sides
- Place the rice flour, tapioca flour, and 300 ml of coconut milk in a mixing bowl and whisk until no lumps
- In a medium sauce pan, add the rest of the coconut milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture come to gentle boil for 2-3 minutes, turn off the heat and then gradually pour this mixture into the rice flour mixture and continue to stir until batter is smooth and thickens. Put it back on the stove over low heat and continue to stir until the batter thickens and coat the back of your spatula. The batter should be thick but still spreadable
- Get your steamer ready by bringing water to a boil. Cut out about 6 x 6 inch square of banana leaves. Spread about 2 Tbsp of the batter in the middle of the leaves. Place one slice or two of bananas on top and fold the two sides up continue with folding the other two sides down, as if you are wrapping a parcel. Steam the nagasari for about 10-15 minutes over medium heat. This cake can be served warm or room temperature