Actually pig’s stomach soup is also not consumed only during confinement period. My mom prepared this most of the time during Chinese New Year or some important events. This is actually one of my favorite soups. Please don’t gag just yet. I know many people are not into organ meats but I just happened to be into organ meats since I was young. And if you don’t know already, organ meats are consumed quite commonly in Asian diet. Here’s my mom’s pig’s stomach soup recipe. Yum!
Please weigh ingredients with a digital kitchen scale instead of using measuring cups as they are not very accurate especially when it comes to recipe that requires precision.
- 1 pig's stomach
- 2 fried fish maws - soaked in hot water for 15-20 minutes until soft
- 10-15 whole white pepper
- Salt to taste
- 6-8 Cups of water
- Cilantro for garnish
- CLEANING METHOD:
- This depends on the pig’s stomach you purchased. The one we bought here had already been cleaned pretty well - so all we need to do was to rub the stomach with some fresh lime and then trim off some extra visible fat
- Boil the pig’s stomach in a water for 1-2 hours or until it is soft. It will still be rather chewy but it should not be tough. You can poke the stomach with fork to see if it is cooked through. If you can poke through - it is done. Discard the water and set aside
- Boil the pig's stomach with whole pepper stuffed inside the stomach for 1-2 hours. Poke with fork to see if it's cooked through
- Once it is cooked, drained and keep the water for soup. Slice the pig's stomach into bite sizes
- Bring the water you kept from no.2 to boil again. Add in the fish maws and sliced pig stomach. Season with salt to taste
- Garnish with cilantro. Add few drop of sesame oil if you wish