Last updated on March 19th, 2020
Speedy Rotisserie Chicken Noodle in Coconut Lemongrass Soup – A comforting bowl of noodle soup in no time by using store-bought rotisserie chicken and served in easy to make coconut lemongrass soup.
I was pretty amazed by the sight of rotisserie chicken roasting at the grocery store when I first came to the U.S. decades ago. People sell ready-cooked chicken and duck too back at home, but usually not at the grocery store. They are being sold at the market, hawker centers, restaurants or eating places. The first year when I just got married and not sure what the heck I was doing at the kitchen, rotisserie chicken was part of my meal planning very often 🙂
Now I’m a bit more seasoned and love to tinker in the kitchen, but there are still days I include rotisserie chicken in my meal planning, probably once every two weeks. This Speedy Rotisserie Chicken Noodle in Coconut Lemongrass Soup wasn’t actually pre-planned. My son told me he wanted a noodle soup and I took a quick peak at my pantry and fridge and saw that I still had lemongrass stalks and coconut milk. Voila!
A complete meal in no time! The coconut lemongrass soup is light but satisfying. It gives the soup a bit more body. Now, It only took me 15 minutes to make the soup. WILL THE SOUP TASTE GOOD THOUGH? you probably might ask.
I like to use the juice from the rotisserie chicken (usually collected at the bottom of the tray). You will usually see it when you just bought it from the store. If you are using a leftover rotisserie chicken that you have put in the fridge, those juices will be in the form of gel! They will melt when it comes in contact with heat. Those are flavorful juice you DO NOT want to throw away. I add that to the soup and immediately it makes you feel like you have been brewing this soup for a long time using bones and whatnot!
Did my son happy with his noodle soup? His bowl was empty, so I guess it’s a yes!
I’m a drumstick girl and so I like to serve my noodle with the drumstick 🙂
*This post contains affiliate links, which support this site at no extra cost to you
Speedy Rotisserie Chicken Noodle in Coconut Lemongrass Soup
- Store-bought whole rotisserie chicken Save the juice if any
- 1 lb Pasta or noodle of your choice
- 2 bunches of Gai lan / Chinese Broccoli sub with bok choy, broccolini or whatever you like
Coconut lemongrass soup:
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Chopped green onion
Preparing the soup:
- Place the chicken stock and juice from the rotisserie chicken in a medium-size pot. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to simmer. Add turmeric powder, lemongrass stalks, and seasonings. Half cover with a lid and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Add coconut milk. If using shredded chicken, add in to let it heat up a bit. Don't let it boil over or your soup will turn frothy. Have a taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. If using large pieces of drumstick or chicken wings, you can add this later when ready to serve
- While the soup is brewing, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Trim off the large stems of gai lan. Blanch the gai lan for 5 minutes and then refresh with cold water and set aside. In the same pot, cook the noodle of pasta according to instruction. I like to cook my noodle or pasta separately and not in the soup
- Portion the noodle, chicken, and gail lan in an individual serving bowl. Generously ladle the hot soup over. Sprinkle with chopped green onion and serve immediately