Last updated on March 31st, 2021
The Best Buttermilk Avocado Pancakes – Learn how to make the best buttermilk avocado pancakes. Tips and pointers to give you the light and airy buttermilk pancakes you will ever have. No more soggy pancakes.
These avocado pancakes were something I made out of randomness. As usual, every Friday I clear out the fridge and surprisingly I still had one avocado left looking all sad and perhaps felt forgotten! Sorry, avocado, I swear to God you are very much loved by all of us and it must be an overlook on my side. But fret not, the kids were digging these best buttermilk avocado pancakes. They are truly the best!!!
Let’s get to the details on how you can make the best buttermilk avocado pancakes (or any buttermilk pancakes really!)
1. Separate the dry and wet ingredients
This will prevent overmixing the batter, which is the main culprit in tough pancakes because too much gluten has developed from that stirring.
2. Baking powder and baking soda
Ever wonder why you need both? Well, this will give you the fluffiest pancakes ever!! Baking powder will help to leaven the batter while baking soda is also kinda doing the same thing especially when mixed with buttermilk, but it also gives you that crisp texture at the edge too. Yep, they work together.
3. Buttermilk and sour cream
Both gives a nice tang to your pancakes. The sour cream is added to help maintain that consistency of the batter without being too “light” that causes the pancakes to collapse
4. Let it relax
When you let the batter relax, you give the gluten some time to relax and so when you cook it, the pancakes won’t be tough.
This is always important for any cooking and baking. Too hot and you will burn the pancakes. not enough heat and the pancakes look all pale and sad!!! So, well-heated pan with thin layer of oil will give you perfect golden brown pancakes.
6. The amount of oil
The amount of oil is important in cooking pancakes. Too much oil and you end up with greasy pancakes, not enough oil will give you pancakes that don’t cook evenly and odd colors. Wiping the oil with paper towel gives you the perfect amount. This is the same case with Dorayaki too.
7. Use measuring cup
Use a measuring cup to portion out pancake will ensure you get the same size and they all will cook at the same time on the pan.
8. Keep warm
Keeping them warm will maintain that crisp edges and fluffy pancakes. Besides, no one really likes cold pancakes.
If you get all these basic right, you are on your way on making the fluffiest buttermilk avocado pancakes ever! For real!
The Best Buttermilk Avocado Pancakes
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 oz sour cream
- 1 large egg about 55 grams each
- 1 ripe avocado pitted and mashed
- cooking oil to cook the pancakes
Prepare pancake batter:
- Whisk all the dry ingredient in one bowl. Whisk all the wet ingredient in another bowl
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir just until the wet and dry ingredients are incorporated. DO NOT overmix or your pancakes will be heavy and flat instead of fluffy. Don't worry about the lumps in your pancakes. It should be lumpy and you will see few spots of flour. That's normal. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 200 F. Preheat a heavy-bottom pan (they distribute heat better) or griddle on high to medium heat, use a little bit of butter. Let it melt and then use a paper towel to wipe out of oil. So there's only a thin layer of oil coating the pan. Ladle 1/4 cup of batter into the hot pan/griddle. The batter will start to bubble. Cook until the edge set, about 2 minutes. Flip over and cook for another minute. Repeat with the rest of the pancakes and add more oil if needed. Keep the cooked pancakes warm in the oven while you are cooking the rest. Do not stack the pancakes or they will become soggy