Banana fritters or what we call Pisang Goreng in Indonesian language is one of my favorite street foods. You can see this being sold almost anywhere on the street. This, though is not the traditional Pisang Goreng you’ll find in Indonesia however. Preparation wise is slightly different. The Banana fritters in Indonesia is prepared with the whole banana being sliced thinly resembling a fan, where as the banana fritters in this recipe uses mashed banana. When the fritters are fried, they will then vary in shape and size.
They are very easy to make and I can say it’s almost fool-proof. My husband asked me if there’s anything for snack at tea time and I saw some ripen bananas and 20 minutes later….here they were.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cooking oil for deep frying
- 2 Tbsp honey for drizzling - optional
- Mash the bananas with fork until smooth. Add in the cornmeal, sugar, and salt and mix it well. The batter is rather thick but still flowy
- Preheat oil until it is really hot. Drop about one tablespoon of the mixture to the hot oil. Don't overcrowd and fry batch by batch. Place on absorbent paper towel. Serve immediately with some honey or eat them on their own is just as good