I’ve been so blessed to meet so many wonderful people. Some I’ve met in person, some I’ve came to know through blogging and either way, I feel so grateful. Every time I made this cheddar corn pie, it reminds me of my good friend, Stef (not that she looks like cheddar corn pie and head over to her blog and see how creative this mama is. I’m not kidding!). Let me tell you why. Fast backward to almost a year ago when I just gave birth to Iven. He was still a tiny baby who demanded lots of my attention. Feeding days and nights. And also a 3-year old Fiorina who also craved for my attention. On top of that a husband who’s gone for one week every month.. and there was one particular month that he was gone for two weeks. All those equal to a tired and cranky mom (I probably suffered from postnatal depression without realizing it too). I felt like my life was so dark at that time. Having to nurse Iven in a completely dark room (because he was easily distracted and me constantly worried about him not getting enough milk) made me felt so lonely and depressed. I hardly had time to care for myself. Cooking ? what is cooking..really! I don’t even know what I had been eating during those times.
One night when we were gathering at a friend’s place, Stef handed me something. I didn’t even realize what it was until I got home and when I looked at it…wow….a pie….some kind of pie that looked so scrumptious. The next day when I had it for lunch… I was really impressed by how it tasted. It has all the things I love: corn, peppers, eggs, bacon. Not to mention it really fills you up too. Such a perfect dish. I asked her for the recipe and ever since then, it’s been in our menu pretty often. It is such a great dish when you don’t have much time to prepare for a meal. I’m so touched by her act of kindness. Thank you Stefi. You have no idea how grateful I am.
CHEDDAR CORN PIE
- 2 Tbsp dry bread crumbs
- 10 slices bacon cooked until crispy and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- Half green bell pepper cored and diced
- Half red bell pepper cored and diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels thawed if frozen
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Pinch salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour I substitute with whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp shortening I used 100% organic cold-pressed coconut oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 10-inch quiche pan or pie plate. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Combine bacon, cheese, onion, peppers, corn, pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle over the bread crumbs
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cut in the shortening until in fine crumbs. Add eggs and milk, whisk just until smooth. Pour over the bacon mixture
- Bake in oven at 350F for 45 to 50 minutes or until the knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting
This pie makes a good meal anytime, but especially on busy times when you don’t feel like spending too much time in the kitchen. As you said, tasty and easy to make 😉 I’m happy you still like.
I’ve been making it so many times ever since 😉 It’s our favorite