Beef tripe pieces are cooked in aromatic spices and herbs and served in a coconut milk broth. The recipe can be cooked on the stove or using the pressure cooker.
Babat means beef tripe in Indonesian language. Babat is what we categorized as jeroan in Indonesian language, or offal/innards in English. Beef tripe soup is one of the popular soto in Indonesia. There are so many different soto out there and soto usually refers to soup in general.
If you enjoy eating beef tripe, you should give this Indonesian soto babat a try. It is cooked in a myriad of spices and herbs that make the soto tastes so good!
What type of tripe to use
The price for beef tripe varies depending on which tripe you choose. Honeycomb tripe (babat tawon) is the most expensive because it has the best flavor, texture and the thickness is just perfect. I highly recommend using honeycomb tripe if possible. There are also flat tripe, book tripe, and reed tripe. I don’t recommend using flat tripe. As its name implies, this part of the cow’s stomach is flat and tougher.
How to store
Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for about 5 days. You can also cook in a bigger batch and then divide into individual serving portions and freeze them.
Did you make this soto babat daging sapi recipe?
I love it when you guys snap a photo and tag to show me what you’ve made 🙂 Simply tag me @WhatToCookToday #WhatToCookToday on Instagram and I’ll be sure to stop by and take a peek for real!
You may also like these soto
This recipe is adapted from here.
Soto Babat Daging Sapi (Indonesian Beef Tripe Soup)
Spices to grind:
- 5 candlenuts toasted
- 8 shallots
- 7 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp white peppercorns
- ¼ nutmeg
- 1 inch turmeric root
- 1 inch ginger root
- ½ Tbsp salt or more to taste
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp beef bouillon optional
- lime juice
- 1 stalk green onion finely chopped
- 1 stalk Chinese celery finely chopped
- sambal oelek I use store-bought
- If you get beef tripes that have been cleaned, then you can skip the cleaning part. If yours are unprocessed and still need to be cleaned, you can refer to this how to clean beef tripe
- Put all ingredients to grind in a food processor and process into a paste. You may need to add a bit of water to help things going
If using Instant Pot pressure cooker:
- Press saute on Instant Pot pressure cooker. When it's hot, add cooking oil. Add the ground spices and saute for about 2-3 minutes. Add the herbs and seasonings and continue to stir fry for another 5 minutes. Turn off saute mode
- Add the beef and tripe pieces and water. Scrape the bottom of the pot to make sure nothing gets stuck or it may trigger a "burn" alert later
- Secure the lid. Turn the pressure release valve to sealing. Select "pressure cooker" and make sure it's on "high pressure". Set the timer to 20 minutes. When it's done cooking, do a natural release (wait until the valve collapses on its own) and carefully unlock the lid
- Add the coconut milk into the inner pot. The residual heat will warm up the coconut milk. Have a taste and adjust the seasoning to your preference. Proceed to the serving step
If cooking on the stove:
- Use a heavy-bottom pot. Add cooking oil. Saute the ground spices for 2-3 minutes. Add the herbs and seasonings and continue to stir fry for another 5 minutes. Add the beef and tripe pieces and water. Bring back to a simmer then lower the heat to prevent the soup from boiling over. Cover with a lid and let them cook for about 30 minutes or until they are fork-tender but not mushy
- Stir in the coconut milk and don't bring it to a boil. Proceed to the serving step
- Garnish the tripes with chopped green onion and Chinese celery.