Nasi Kuning (Indonesian Turmeric Rice) – Learn how to make easy and aromatic turmeric rice or what we call nasi kuning in Indonesia. Can be made on stove-top, rice cooker, and pressure cooker.
Nasi kuning is a popular rice dish in Southeast Asia, especially in the Southeast Asia regions.
The rich golden yellow color is perfect to celebrate special occasion such as birthday, wedding, baby shower, etc. The turmeric rice is usually stuffed into a cone-shape mould to make nasi tumpeng.
We didn’t have any particular celebration that day. Just me craving for it 🙂 Well, maybe I should say everyday that I wake up and feeling healthy inside out is a celebration, isn’t it ? 🙂
WHAT YOU CAN SERVE WITH NASI KUNING
I love the flavor that is infused into the rice from all the spices and herbs. It is very quick and easy to make and often go well with dishes such as Meat Rendang, Green Jack Fruit Curry/ Sayur Nangka or other spicy dishes such as Anchovies with Chili Sauce / Sambal Ikan teri on the side, Fried Fish with Sambal, perkedel kentang. These are just to mention a few. I made my mom’s green sambal in big batch and it compliments the nasi kuning very well too.
I made this to accompany another Indonesian famous chicken dish, twice-cooked fried chicken with spiced crunch or ayam goreng kremes in Indonesian. I can tell you it’s a big hit in our family !! The house smelled really good that day 🙂
TIPS FOR MAKING GOOD NASI KUNING
1. Rinse the rice until water is clear. This is to make sure your rice won’t be starchy sticky
2. Ratio of rice : water
I typically like to do 1:1 ratio for cooking the rice in rice cooker and instant pot. The water doesn’t escape much compare to when you cook on the stove. For the stove, I would add another 1/2 cup of water
3. Use good quality turmeric powder
4. Let the rice sit for 5-10 minutes after cooking and then fluff the rice
DISCLOSURE: This post contains affiliate links, which support this site at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
*Recipe is written for 6-quart Instant Pot. Cooking time should remain the same for 8-quart size but will take longer to pressurize. For mini duo (3-quart), I recommend to half the recipe and use the same amount of time to cook*
Nasi Kuning (Indonesian Turmeric Rice)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Wash the rice in several changes of water until it runs clear. Drain with sieve to make sure all water is drained off
Cooking on stove-top:
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot. Stir to mix everything. Bring the liquid to a boil and then lower the heat to simmer. Cover with lid and let it cook for the next 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it rest for 5 minutes. Uncover the lid and fluff the rice
Cooking in rice cooker:
- Place the rice, coconut milk, water, spices, herbs, and seasonings in the inner pot of rice cooker. Stir to mix everything and cook on white rice setting
Cooking in instant pot:
- Place the rice, coconut milk, water, spices, herbs, and seasonings in the inner pot or instant pot. Stir to mix everything. Close the lid. Set the steam release valve to seal. Press on "rice" setting. When it's done cooking, wait 10 minutes before release pressure completely