Tahu Telur (Indonesian Tofu Omelette Salad) – Tofu and egg omelettes are piled with fresh vegetables and dressed in a peanut dressing. A light yet satisfying meatless meal you will enjoy eating.
Tahu Telor / Tofu Omelettes was one of the dishes that we often ordered whenever we went out to eat at Indonesian Restaurant. Originated in Java, tahu telur is such a humble food but one that you will really enjoy. It’s meatless, but it will fill you up because it is packed with protein. It’s one of my favorite dishes to make when I need whip up something easy.
Tofu and tempe is popular ingredients in Indonesia. It’s cheap and it fills the hole!
I like all the different texture that goes into this dish.
*This post contains affiliate links, which support this site at no extra cost to you
Tahu Telur (Indonesian Tofu Omelette Salad)
- 1 block soft or medium tofu cut into small cubes or roughly chopped them
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup bean sprouts blanched
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 Tbsp green onion finely chopped
Preparing the sauce:
- Place the tamarind paste with hot water and leave it for 5 minutes. Smash it with the back of the spoon and then discard the solid. Mix all the ingredients for the sauce together. Set aside
If making large omelettes:
- Heat oil in a 8-inch non-stick pan. Pour in 1/3 of the egg and tofu mixture and fry until golden brown and dry on both sides, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Don't worry if you don't make a perfect flip. You can use your spatula to cut it into half and flip if you can't flip the whole thing at once
If making with egg rings:
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan, about 10-12 inch. Place the egg rings there and brush with some oil. Let them heat up so the eggs won't stick to the rings. Scoop in the egg and tofu mixture all the way to the top. Let them cook until the bottom have settled and golden brown
- Gently remove the ring with the help of rubber spatula. Flip over and let them cook until golden brown. Don't panic if it's not the perfect round
- Place the omelette on serving platter. Top with lettuce, bean sprouts, green onion, crispy shallots and drizzle the sauce over
OTHER TOFU RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
TAHU GORENG KECAP (TOFU WITH SWEET SOY SAUCE DRESSING)
TAHU DAN TEMPE BACEM (BRAISED SPICED TOFU AND TEMPEH)
TAHU ISI SAYUR RENYAH (CRISPY VEGGIE STUFFED TOFU)
SILKEN TOFU WITH FRIED ANCHOVIES AND PEANUTS