This sweet mayonnaise prawns are absolutely our family’s favorite. Traditionally served as one of the Chinese cold-plate appetizers in special occasion like wedding banquet, parties, etc, this sweet mayonnaise prawns are popular in Asia.
The prawns are coated with batter and then deep-fried. That one isn’t all that special. Once you coat them in the sweet mayonnaise sauce, they are irresistible (I had real hard time staying away from this). It’s not the healthiest thing that you want to have too often. Having it once in a while making it such a treat. I absolutely love this dish. It is great as appetizer or as part of main dish. The best thing is, it’s really not that difficult to make either.
- 1 lb of jumbo prawns (shelled and deveined- keep the tail on the prawns if you want as part of presentation)
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup self-rising flour
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp condensed milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Rinse the prawns briefly with cold water and then pat them dry with paper towel and set aside
- Preheat the oil in a medium or large deep pot for deep-frying. Prepare the mayonnaise sauce by mixing the mayonnaise with condensed milk, lemon juice. Mix well and set aside
- Put the egg white, self-rising flour in a bowl and mix well. The batter should be of a thick pancake batter. If you find it to thick, you can thin it a bit with few drops of water.
- Dip each prawns into the batter. When the oil is ready, place the coated prawns into the oil and fry until they are golden brown and then turn to the other side and fry for another minute or so. They whole process shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes, as prawns get cooked pretty quickly
- Remove the fried prawns from the pot and place on paper towel briefly. Pour the mayonnaise sauce over the prawns and lightly toss to coat each pieces. Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately or you may chill them for a while and serve them cold